lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
MauiNate
Not Yet Wild

Default Basic Dumb Question

I remember back in the day, you could hot rod a 36v motor with a 48v controller and battery setup. Guys used to go extreme DC before the lithiums showed up!

I'm wondering, with the higher voltage lithiums, such as the leaf packs, could you do the same type of thing with a 8s/16s pack and a 72v controller?

Basically running the controller under max voltage, and running the motor a little hotter?
MauiNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Basic Dumb Question

I'm running my stock 48v motor on my 14S pack at 57.6v. Running 48v on 72v may be a bit much. I have heard many times that the EZGO 36v PDS motor likes 42v better than 48v, so I would imagine there is a sweet spot for each motor.

So I do not know the answer to your actual question, but I wouldn't hesitate to try a 48v motor on 60v. The Alltrax "48v" controller I have is good up to 62V which is why I went 14S. 15S at 4.15vpc would be 62.25v and trigger the cutoff so that's why I picked 14S.

---------------------------------

Re-read your post. 16S at 4.15vpc would be 66.40v. That'd be a number I would be tempted to try on a 48v. The motor may not live too long but I would be surprised if it smoked the motor right away.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The controller is often the voltage limit. My stock 48V controller did not like my 14S pack voltage at full charge near 58V. I went to an Alltrax controller and it has been fine for the three years plus I have had my Leaf pack.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
The controller is often the voltage limit. My stock 48V controller did not like my 14S pack voltage at full charge near 58V. I went to an Alltrax controller and it has been fine for the three years plus I have had my Leaf pack.
Not to get off topic, but is that with a stock motor and which one. GE?
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have a D&D motor - high torque. The stock Hitachi motor was junk. (Yamaha cart)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car