lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
PeteInAustin
Not Yet Wild

Default How much hill climbing speed improvement after controller upgrade?

Hello everyone. I recently bought a 2015 Yamaha Drive 48v and it's a blast.

I live in a very hilly neighborhood in Austin, TX (500ft elevation change from top to bottom) and am looking for an upgrade that will give more speed on inclines. From what I've read, it sounds like upgrading from stock 290 AMP controller to an Alltrax 400 or 500 AMP would be the best result for the money.

I've done the PTV upgrade and go 20MPH on flat. On big hills, I go around 10MPH. What I'm curious to know is how much of a speed increase I would expect on inclines with a controller upgrade (+solenoid +cables) and stock motor. If it's 2-3 MPH, I will probably skip it. If more, I may pull the trigger.

Would appreciate hearing anyone's experiences with controller upgrades and best guesses around how much impact an upgrade might have on hill climbing.

Thanks.
PeteInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: How much hill climbing speed improvement after controller upgrade?

If you put a big enough controller on a stock Drive Hitachi motor to speed it up on hills, it will kill the motor soon. You better save up for a motor too.

So I guess the answer is it will eventually lower your speed on hills to zero mph.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
PeteInAustin
Not Yet Wild

Will the 400 or the 500 in 400 mode kill the stock motor?
Old 08-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
LPnTX
Gone Wild

Hi Pete. I'm from Texas and my folks live in Lakeway, just outside Austin so I know about the elevation changes. Cgtech is right about the stock Hitachi motor failing with an Alltrax controller upgrade. Call Don Plowman at Plowman at Plowman's Carts and talk to him about his Riot Kit. He's a site sponsor and great guy. He can set it up specifically for your needs and then ship you the motor, controller, solenoid and cables. It's fairly easy to do and you'll be zipping up and down those hills in no time.
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Unfortunately Yamaha engineers did their job too good. The stock motor will last through a 5-6 yer golf lease. But not a whole lot more. This cart will eventually need a better than stock motor regardless of what mods you make. Meaning big tires, rear seat, high speed, what ever you do beyond golf will hasten the motor's demise.
The XCT400 increased top speed to 22mph on my test cart. Torque improved 30%. I haven't clocked it going uphill but it is better than it was. So far so good.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
PeteInAustin
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies, all. Very helpful.

Given that the Plowman Kit uses the Alltrax XCT 500, I may do things piecemeal to make it easier for the wife to palate ;)

Scottyb, any guess at how many miles you have so far with the upgraded controller and the stock motor?
Old 08-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
PeteInAustin
Not Yet Wild

Spoke with Don Plowman today. Great conversation. I think I'm going that direction. Wife on board! Thanks all.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
Kerusm
Getting Wild

Just installed a Riot Kit on my 2010 Drive. Don was awesome. I needed more torque than anything and I’m completely satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kerusm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
Kerusm
Getting Wild

Pete, I received your message but not sure you received my reply. New to this Tapatalk app and not sure if I’m responding correctly. There is few things I could tell you to make it a little easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kerusm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alltrax, hill climbing, yamaha 48v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha