lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
Legacyfarmer
Not Yet Wild

Default Cushman Titan 36 volt s/n 898336 1986 10 Weak and wimpy

1st post so please bear with me. I have a 1986 Cushman Titan 36 volt burden carrier for use on farm. It was a basket case literally. I put it together and it runs. It is very weak with very little torque. I note that this is a resistor cart, but it is designed to carry 1500 pounds of cargo. Guy sold me 3 12 volt batteries which are Dynasty UPS 12 - 145, which weigh 100 pounds each. The amp hr is 134.8 and the lit. says it has a maximum discharge current of 800 amps. I don't know what that means exactly. I did wire them in series.
I cleaned all of the connectors when I put it together and also cleaned the bars and wiper on the resistor assembly and f/r switch.
Question is, what can I do to diagnose the weakness. and would conversion to 48 volts be beneficial? I wonder about these batteries, but they are new.

Last edited by Legacyfarmer; 01-06-2015 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: forgot to state problem in title
Legacyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cushman Titan 36 volt s/n 898336 1986 10 Weak and wimpy

JohnnieB?
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Those batteries are for UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) usage, so they are designed to be fully charged most the time and only discharged occasionally, then recharged immediately. Basically, that is the same usage profile as a car battery.

The correct battery pack would consist of six 6V deep cycle (Golf Cart) batteries in the 225AH (or higher) range.

In other words, they are the wrong batteries for your cart and may be why it has no oomph, but maybe not the only reason.

Put a voltmeter on the main (36V) battery terminals and monitor it while driving the cart.
What is the pack voltage when cart is sitting still and what does the pack voltage drop to while driving cart?

-----------

The resistors in a 36V resistor cart won't handle 48V.

However the motor will, so you can convert it to a electronic speed control and run at 48V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Legacyfarmer
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply. I will check and repost.
Legacyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO