lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Leaf Module G2 basics

So I've started putting together my parts list for a Leaf pack...

1) What size / diameter ring terminals do I need for the BMS voltage monitoring points on the leaf packs? These are bolts included with the module as I understand it, that I remove and insert the monitoring ring terminal under - correct?

2) Are the + and - terminals on each module the same size bolt as the above, or if not what size? I'm planning to split the pack into 2 7 module packs, for ease of installation and mounting flexibility. I'll need to use a few cables to connect the 2 packs together and will need to make up those cables. I realize I should be able to use copper bus-bar type connections on adjacent terminals, which I think I can order with the modules.

3) Any wire type recommendations for the BMS voltage monitoring leads / temp sensor leads? 18-20ga stranded OK?

4) Best way to "check" integrity of Leaf modules upon receiving? Want to make sure all modules are w/in spec, and don't get weak or iffy cells.

How should I go about checking each one?

Thanks!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Leaf Module G2 basics

screws/bolts on leaf are 6mm and 8mm if my memory is correct. Wiring depends on the BMS you will use. Chargery comes with wires, 20 or 22 I believe it is. Don't think Zeva does and not sure it's size.

if you plan on splitting the packs, I'd suggest an 8 and a 6, as two 7s doesn't really work as well. if possible, don't split the pack, but depends how the layout in an onward. I have an old club car ds.

I'd order my cells with the copper bus bars. I got mine from a guy whose eBay name was azlithium, I think. Very easy to deal with and would build what you want.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCousinVinnie View Post
screws/bolts on leaf are 6mm and 8mm if my memory is correct. Wiring depends on the BMS you will use. Chargery comes with wires, 20 or 22 I believe it is. Don't think Zeva does and not sure it's size.

if you plan on splitting the packs, I'd suggest an 8 and a 6, as two 7s doesn't really work as well. if possible, don't split the pack, but depends how the layout in an onward. I have an old club car ds.

I'd order my cells with the copper bus bars. I got mine from a guy whose eBay name was azlithium, I think. Very easy to deal with and would build what you want.
AZlithium is actually where I sourced the Chargery BMS unit. I may not need to split the packs, but seems like I could remove them myself that way (I can't lift 130lbs from inside the cart like that - no way). You are right though - not sure the best way to try and interconnect the modules if split...

Did you get a "smart" charger that talks to the BMS?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:

Was looking at the Chargery charger and stumbled on this review... does not look good. Makes me concerned for my BMS unit as well.

I don't know if this is the charger you ended up with?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95330
Old 01-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

That's not the same charger used for this application. I have the C10325 from Chargery. I haven't used mine extensively yet, but there are others using them without problem.

And so, that also answers your question whether I got a charger that talks to my BMS.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
That's not the same charger used for this application. I have the C10325 from Chargery. I haven't used mine extensively yet, but there are others using them without problem.

And so, that also answers your question whether I got a charger that talks to my BMS.
Thanks - I appreciate all the info. My setup I think will be almost identical, so your documenting it here is very helpful.

I'm still not positive what the "connected" charger actually does -vs- a "dumb" one, since the BMS itself is supposedly balancing cells during charge?
Old 01-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

A charger paired with the system eliminates the need for an overcharge cut-off relay from what I understand. I have one relay - an over-discharge relay. that function is built into the chargery system.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car