lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2024, 02:56 PM   #21
Rckeat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need diagnosis help - '95 Medalist

I messed with this cart again today after watching a YouTube video about testing an EZGO controller posted by a guy called The Cart Doctor. Lo and behold after testing a few things, the cart would run again. So I took it for a spin only to be thwarted by an old lady in my neighborhood which required me to take my foot off of the throttle while approaching her. And you guessed it, it wouldn't run again after I letting up on the throttle to slow down.

Pushed it back home and went through the test procedure as shown in this video The Cart Doctor video

It would appear that ScottyB's diagnosis that I have a dying controller is correct as the controller has very little power at the M-. When depressing the throttle, power at the M- drops to 0, but then goes back to about 2 volts when the pedal is released. I also tested the ITS as suggested in this video and it seems to be working appropriately.

ScottyB: If you are still following this thread, would you please chime in with your thoughts. I now think the controller is currently in the "bad" category, but for some reason it fixed itself temporarily today until it failed again.

So now a couple of questions. I added 12" rims and a 6" lift kit about a year ago, and the previous owner added a rear seat. The first time I had this issue was when we were loaded down with 4 adults and drove about 1/2 mile when it failed after releasing the throttle. So I am guessing the added stresses have killed the controller (or nearly so).

So if I replace the controller, should I upgrade to a beefier unit with an upgraded solenoid? And if I do that, will I have to replace the motor at the same time, or can I just live with the stock motor for a bit? Thanks for your advice and guidance.
Rckeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2024, 07:46 AM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Upgrade the controller and solenoid, don't ignore the need for new cables on the old cart too for the best results.
Most of the original motors are good with a bigger controller or higher voltage.
If you replace the motor later with something better suited to big tires and added passengers you will be glad to have enough controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:56 AM   #23
Rckeat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ScottyB:

Thanks for the recommendations. So one last question - What controller should I buy and which solenoid? I don't want or need the fastest cart, but better performance would be nice. And I replaced the battery cables when I redid the cart a couple of years back, but did not replace the cables between the pack and the controller/solenoid, or the ones to the motor. Do I need to replace them as well as the controller cables?
Old 06-14-2024, 03:42 PM   #24
binder49
Gone Wild

I installed an Altrax XCT400DCS package that included a heavy duty solenoid that I purchased from Carts Unlimited. I also upgrade the cables including pack cable, pack to contoller, and controller to motor to 2ga. Feels like a completely different cart now. With a 4" lift and taller tires it will do about 23mph on the flat, and hills really don't bother it that much. Running 36 volts. Best thing I have done to the cart.
binder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 08:26 AM   #25
Rckeat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Binder:

Thanks for the real world advice. I plan to do something similar as soon as I get back from vacation.
Old 06-15-2024, 11:58 AM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your post 12 shows a series controller. The most popular upgrade for this cart is the Alltrax SR48500 controller and 400 solenoid with 2g cables. All of the cables should be the same size and construction for even distribution.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO