lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
mustang43004
Not Yet Wild

Default Harley won't start

Harley golf cart electrical system works, it turns the starter motor and there seems to be spark at the plug, although it may be weak. But the engine doesn't kick over. Two things come to mind, fuel and spark. Can the battery be low but enough to run the starter motor? I am not sure what to look at. Any suggestions?
mustang43004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
mustang43004
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Harley won't start

i replaced the plug but no result. I see a little bit of smoke at the exhaust as it's trying to start but it's not nearly enough to indicate the engine is firing. I am at a loss.
mustang43004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

number 1 thing to determine is what your compression is.
Check that and report or search the forum.
Good luck.
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Well, could be a few things but Chucky is right. Check that compression. If it's low (should be around 90 or so) then that means you threw a ring or something and nothing can be done to make the cart run until it's fixed.

You may want to check your plug after failed starting attempts. Is it wet? It should be! If it's not wet then you have a "not getting fuel" issue. There is a sticky at the top of the forum for that. You can try to put a bit of gas mix in the cylinder to see it pops a couple of times. If it does then you definitely have a "not getting gas" issue.

I am not a big believer in "weak" spark. If you can see the spark then it's enough to ignite air / fuel mixtures.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

If spark and fuel look good it is usually low compression or blocked exhaust system. If either of these things are the issue it will not start.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
1CeMak3r
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

raydhd is correct, I have taken off the muffler and look at the piston and rings and the inside of the cylinder through the exhaust port. If it is clean inside the jug, then it could be a blocked muffler. I've BQed 2 of them on the fire pit. HaHa
1CeMak3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:44 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

See if it will run without the muffler on. If it runs then, indeed, the muffler is your issue. If not, though, then something else is amiss.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:46 AM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I had a cart with decreasing compression but I decided to run it until it would not start. One day I ran it out to my vineyard and on the return trip it would not start (compression too low) I tried it in reverse and it would start ( the engine tuns over a little faster in reverse so with a little more compression it did run in reverse) I drove it about 1/4 mile in reverse back to the shop. It would not start at all after that return trip Lesson learned; don't ignore low compression too long.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 01:59 PM   #9
Koko Reine
Not Yet Wild

Hi there, we just bought a used Harley, tested it, it ran.

We brought it home, we drove it 2 blocks and it bogged down and died.
Gas was low so we fixed that (correct gas)

Reading previous threads, my husband says he's checked the compression, tried starting it in reverse, checked the spark plugs.

It tries to start but just won't fire
Koko Reine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 03:26 PM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

check compression, coil but the probable is the points. Check timing and reset if necessary. compression should be in the area of 85psi. You also could have a vacuum leak.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson