lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Battery disconnect?

I have added a 48v relay that only allows the stereo to work when the key is on. The bad thing is now my kids can jump on it when we are in the yard listening to the radio and they hit the forward button and the pedal and they are gone. Trying to decide if it would be better to add a battery disconnect with removable key or to move the run/tow switch somewhere i could access it to disable the cart? Let me know what yall think
aauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery disconnect?

Chain the kids to a tree,

Really a switch could do both, protect the kids and provide a little
extra theft deterrent for the cart.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'm not sure how you want it, but you could run something like this
Amazon.com: Delay Timer/Relay: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Delay Timer/Relay: Kitchen & Dining
on 12v, put a momentary switch some place on the cart, then a relay to the stereo. That way you could push the switch and get an hour of play time on the stereo and it would shut off, and never turn the cart on, you would have to reset it if you listened for over an hour. If you did not activate the timer if would work like it is now only with key. But anyone could hit the switch and make the radio work for an hour, if they can find the switch lol. Or you could use a key operated switch to activate it if you needed.

You could put a switch to run just the stereo, if you mean you forget to turn it off then put some LED lights on the cart that run with it maybe.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks Doomsman,

so it would be ok just to relocate the run tow switch somewhere I could access it without lifting the seat? I was thinking about putting it in the dash and blending it in with the other 4 swithes. Put a label on it like "ACC" so people wouldnt know. But the battery disconnect thing could be good because they have them that are removable, but I dont know what kind of amperage I would need. I have seen 100amp cont and 500amp peak. Shoot I may do both!!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
johnk4jmk
Getting Wild

Yamaha

wire you sterio through your reducer and your run tow switch, I think you want to listen to the radio without the key being turned on? That is how i have mine just turn the run tow switch on and you can listen to your radio without the key. hope this helps you.
johnk4jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauman View Post
I have added a 48v relay that only allows the stereo to work when the key is on. The bad thing is now my kids can jump on it when we are in the yard listening to the radio and they hit the forward button and the pedal and they are gone. Trying to decide if it would be better to add a battery disconnect with removable key or to move the run/tow switch somewhere i could access it to disable the cart? Let me know what yall think
Add key switch for the radio if you're worried about having it left on and leave the original key switch for your cart the way it was. Anyway you look at it you're adding a switch of some type to accomplish your goals.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks everyone. I dont have a reducer, I have a blue top Optima DeepCycle marine battery in dash for radio, lights and other acc's. Problem I had was wife and kids would leave acc's on when they switched cart off and would run down seperate battery. So I added the relay so that the cart had to be switched on for acc's to have power but now I have this problem. Just trying to think of the best way to fix it. Dont really want two key switches so will probably just relocate the run/tow switch to dash and camo it in with the rest of the switches. What do yall think?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauman View Post
Thanks everyone. I dont have a reducer, I have a blue top Optima DeepCycle marine battery in dash for radio, lights and other acc's. Problem I had was wife and kids would leave acc's on when they switched cart off and would run down seperate battery. So I added the relay so that the cart had to be switched on for acc's to have power but now I have this problem. Just trying to think of the best way to fix it. Dont really want two key switches so will probably just relocate the run/tow switch to dash and camo it in with the rest of the switches. What do yall think?
OK so you'll have a tow/run switch on the dash and a key switch or you can have a toggle switch with a "On indicator light" on the dash along with the key switch... either way you're still going to have 2 switches. On my cart I have the lit toggle switch for the converter as well as the barrel key switch.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well of course I'm going to have one keyed switch for cart but I'm saying I could just move my run/towtow switch to dash as a toggle on my dash so I can disable cart when we are just listening to stereo! Just want to know what yall think, thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wink Re: Battery disconnect?

Only takes a split second to lift the seat and hit the tow switch
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car