lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #21
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 23 HP Engine placement concens

So you're going to use that instead of your original cradle?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #22
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

In addition to. See picks below. This guy used a 3 point system where I am going to use 4. This guy has only one connection point attached to front of the cradle where I am going to have 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drop 4.jpg (59.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drop 7.jpg (65.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drop 12.jpg (72.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drop 11.jpg (64.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drop 14.jpg (58.0 KB, 0 views)
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #23
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drop 8.jpg (68.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drop 5.jpg (62.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drop 13.jpg (60.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drop 15.jpg (44.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #24
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You'll get a better ride if you use the 3 link setup like the factory was. Older Yamaha carts had two forward connections like you're talking about, very little suspension movement, and no articulation at all. They call that a "swing arm" type suspension.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #25
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Slonoma,
Your goin to have to explain this one to me. I would think that if I had one main connection in the center the carrier would weave back and forth real fast. The two lateral ones would correct this. Now - By having 2 in the center it would be correct right off the bat. The 2 lateral ones would add additional support. I would think that 4 links would make the carrier track much better and have more support for off road.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #26
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm learning too

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...spensions.html

If you are using heim joints you'll get lots of movement, some good, some bad. There are ways to correct the unwanted movement. There are also ways to design the system so it doesn't have any unwanted movement.

My point is this....didn't the original stock design have one link in the front? I would keep that design because it moves better than one with two forward links. Unless....you are attaching the rear links with heim joints also? Then you'll get all kinds of free movement, they call that a true 4 link. Sometimes a 3 link or 4 link both need to control the "sway", as you put it. That takes a panhard bar/rod.

If you are only adding heims on the forward links, you might be ok either way.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #27
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Only a slight amount of sideways movement at the rear axle will cause straight line handling problems. This might not be noticed during technical driving off road but will make the cart very squirrelly on road. My buddy's 94 Marathon has a swingarm type engine cradle with two rubber bushed connecting points. The rubber bushings are shot and need replaced. Off road you can't tell but on road above ten mph it is a handful to keep in a straight line.

Word to the wise.....
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #28
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Slonomo,

Been doing a lot of reading and learning. 1st Pic is Scotty Bs rig. If I copy this I should be ok correct? Here are a few questions I have about it. Seems like throughout the discussion it might be best to use bushings on one end of the trailing arm support - looks like he used Heim joints on both ends. 2nd it looks like he lowered the front supports maybe 3 inches and stayed within the engine compartment bay - which I like. Pic 2 and 3, this guy did basically the same thing but moved the front support beam forward about 10-12 inches giving a longer travel I guess. If I do what Scotty did do you really think I need to move things forward as in 2nd and 3rd pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drop 32.jpg (150.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Drop 6.jpg (60.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drop 7.jpg (65.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drop 13.jpg (60.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #29
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Also, what size Male Heim Joint should I buy. I assume 3/4 hole and 3/4 male bolt end. I would assume same size bushing joint as well for the center.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #30
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yeah I think ScottyB's design is the best I've seen on here, there are others who have copied it. You'll be good if you copy this. If you PM him I bet you can even get some personal adivce.

On mine I'm going with 3/4" for the front support, forged heim, very strong. I am also going with bushings on one end, heims on the other. I just don't need tons of articulation and I think the bushings will help keep things lined up straight. You'll still need a panhard bar.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha