lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
BigMikey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Angry Precedent IQ - Beeping & Regen on downhills?

I've got a 2006 Club Car 48V Electric Professional. I've got new batteries and recently loaned it to a friend for a round of golf. This issue just came up over the last couple weekends.

Now I've got an issue as the cart is going downhill, it beeps the reverse beeper and will regen stop unless the go pedal is released and pushed back down. I used to hear this beeping only if the cart was traveling very fast downhill and it would stop regen braking upon light pressure on the brake. Now I can hear the drive relay click off and the regen kick on. This only occurs on downhill, and doesn't have to be at a high speed and never occurs on up-hill. It will occur multiple times if I have a long downhill section even if the cart is < 3-5MPH

It's super annoying and I don't know if it can be reset or if I've got a bad sensor or component...
Is there some sort of tilt sensor in this cart?
Could this be related to a bad speed sensor?
--If yes, then why don't I have issues going uphill? (NOTE: The uphill speed is 2-3x faster than when I'm just coasting downhill.)

It doesn't do it every time I take it out, it seemed like it was every other full charge, but yesterday makes it 3 charges in a row where now it seems like I have the problem all the time.

Thanks in advance for any help on where to start!!
BigMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent IQ - Beeping & Regen on downhills?

That sounds like the speed sensor on the motor may be failing, or there could be a damaged wire to the sensor.
Also could have a cracked or broken speed magnet.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 2006 Precedent still had the diode inline with the gray auxiliary power wire on the main harness to the controller.

That is the diode that was installed to correct the "Main Dropout Error" of the earlier IQ models.

You should be able to use the old main dropout short harness on the Tow/Run switch to fix the issue.

David with RevolutionGolfCars.com should be able to confirm the symptoms with You.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
BigMikey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The 2006 Precedent still had the diode inline with the gray auxiliary power wire on the main harness to the controller.

That is the diode that was installed to correct the "Main Dropout Error" of the earlier IQ models.

You should be able to use the old main dropout short harness on the Tow/Run switch to fix the issue.

David with RevolutionGolfCars.com should be able to confirm the symptoms with You.
Thanks for the info. I can confirm that mine does have the diode. I traced many wires when I changed the batteries. Do you think the diode is bad or something else?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Not sure I understand your complaint. My electric cc will beep and try to stop the cart from running away if you are setting on a hill and just release the park brake that is normal. If you press the go pedal to get the cart started it will roll freely.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I think his is occurring while in operation mrgolf. As he is riding slowly down the hill.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #7
BigMikey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well the little gremlin is back to doing the same thing. Took it out to play 9 Thursday and it started beeping and cutting out going down the driveway while on the brake.

Had a false hope after taking the batteries out and testing that diode.

Again for any new to reading the thread.
My 2006 48v Precedent IQ
- cuts out the go power at any pedal position once I’m going down hill. Uphill it has no issue or cutout.
- I have to release the go pedal and it will start powering again when pushed towards the floor. However I have to do this multiple times until the terrain flattens out.
- it seems to do this as the cart accelerates pass the point where motor power is driving. The best way I can explain this as your cart naturally accelerates due to gravity and slope you can feel the motor torque reduce.
— If I brake it keeps beeping even when the cart is obviously decelerating. The only thing that stops the beeping is a full stop or releasing and repressing the go pedal.

Any ideas where or what to check next?

I even checked the precharge resistor on the solenoid (240-242 ohms) while the battles were out. I wish I had a code reader to see if there are any faults that would indicate what to check next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Losing our posts, I cannot remember what else we discussed.

Do you here the solenoid open (click) when any of this is occurring?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
BigMikey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Losing our posts, I cannot remember what else we discussed.

Do you here the solenoid open (click) when any of this is occurring?

Absolutely I can here the solenoid open. Weird thing is I can tell when the cart is going to do it. Even in reverse it will drop out backing out of my garage barely pressing the go pedal down. I can here it clearly open or drop out on downhills. I would think to replace the solenoid but it’s fine on any flat or uphills....

Maybe the controller has an issue causing it to drop out the solenoid. I would like to see a flow chart that explains how the controller operates in all situations. Mine has the stock Curtis controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Have you removed and tested the solenoid? As in the field coil? Wondering if it is weak and dropping out....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car