lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Axle and Tie rod removal for lift kit install

Hi - I am in the process of installing a Jake's 4" lift kit on an Ez-Go 1991 Marathon Gas. Instructions say to remove tie rods. I have not idea how to accomplish the removal. It is up on jack stands, tires are removed and cotter pits are out of the nuts on tie rods and axel. Everything is cleaned and rust removed but now I try to loosen nut on tie rod and nut turns with bolt! Can anyone provide better instructions than what came with the lift kit? I thought I would removal some bolts and install the lift kit (it was recommended that this kit was simple to install)...but it is sitting on the blocks with me scratching my head...I was hoping to take advantage of the holiday to get the lift kit installed but now I am not so sure...Any help would be greatly appreciated...How a wonderful Labor Day!

Mike
FamilyFunCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Axle and Tie rod removal for lift kit install

Your either going to have to get a tie rod removal tool or put the nut back on several threads and give the nut a good whack upwards. Hit it the direction it should come out. Use a 2x4 or other peice of wood to soften the blow. Once you get it to move just a wee bit you can take the nut back off and it will come right on out. DO NOT hit the nut with a hammer, use the wood to soften the blow a little.

If the tie rod is too loose you may need new tie rods.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Roady...I got the other tie rod and steering rod nuts off. But, the one on the driver's side turns with the bolt. The others did not. Not sure we are talking about the same thing. I am not looking for the process of knocking the tie rod loose (yet), I am looking at removing the bolt. Should the nut AND the bolt turn together at any time? I thought the bolt was welded into place within the unit. If the bolt is damaged causing it to turn I have to cut and order now tie rod assembly :-( Hopefully we are talking about the same thing and following your guidance will allow me to remove the nut and then remove the tie rod (unless I can replace axel without having to disconnect tie rod). Please let me know your thoughts Roady....THANKS!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Take a screw driver and wegde it under the the tie rod....between the tie rod and the steering arm....a wedge works better. All you wanna do is place some pressure on the tie rod joints so they won't turn. That may keep it tight long enough to get the nut loose. An impact works good for those. If everything is turning already once the nuts get loose they will come right out.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Excellent - thanks Roady! Will give it a try. Got the axel off, so i am making a little progress :-) Thanks for your help!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
wish2fish
Gone Wild

I was amazed how a "pickle fork" made the removal of the tie rods. I think it was around $15 at Autozone. I tried what Roady said with the nuts but they still didn't come apart. The pickle for slid right in and then with a whack of the hammer they came appart!
wish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Got the pickle fork a few days ago, but prob is loosening nut, not removing the tie rod. Roady's instructions are for keeping the bolt from turning. Right now, I have the axel off and the tie rod apart on the passenger side where the steering riser needs to go so I may be ok...will have to see how it goes once I put new axel on...Thanks all!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
tracktor312
Not Yet Wild

Its the same thing tap the pickle fork in to put pressure on the joint and the nut should loosen. I have a jakes lift coming today cart is stripped and waiting in the garage. let us know how it comes out.
tracktor312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Familyfuncarts,
I have a dumb question....are you turning the nut in the proper direction. I believe one is reveresed on the end of your tie rod.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Good question - I thought about that issue also but it should be the same as the other two nuts (both on the passengers side turned properly)...I will give the wedge solution a go tonight but I am starting to think that I will not have to remove the driver's side at all since it was not a problem removing the axel...Only complication with tie rod is on the passenger side because of the addition of the steering riser that comes with the lift kit...The one problem I did have with removing the axel was with the shock absorbers (the metal on the top is not too strong and vise grips were eating into the metal causing it to turn...solution was to put vice clamp (portable one that I use on drill press) on the shock tube and bind it up against the frame (only took 3 hours of scratching my head and trying to grind down the metal on top of shock to square it off before realizing about using the clamp). Now I have to repaint the shocks before putting back on but at least I know the drill now :-) The shocks are ok and the bushings in good order so I am reinstalling...but may order new later on since I really need to get it lifted and operational asap...It will be easy to remove again later now that I have been thru the process...Thanks for your info - this forum is GREAT!....Mike

Tags
1991, axel, jakes, lift, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO