lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
lyinlow
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Par car charging issue.

Hello i have a 89 par car and am having charging issues. i have a new battery on it, however it seems to take alot of battery power to get my cart started and then also the battery is dying on me, is there any way to test the generator? i have the cart on a trickle charger every day for 3-4 hours a day just to keep it topped up over the colder monthc but it still seems to go dead on me.. any help would be greatly appreciated!
lyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
GUNNY
Getting Wild

Default Re: Par car charging issue.

never mind! lol
GUNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
lyinlow
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

huh? not sure what you mean?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Lyinlow, do you have a voltmeter? You can check the voltage output and see if your charging or not. Hook it up and ride the cart.
Also with the cart off dis connect the + cable and check for current.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
lyinlow
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

so heres the issue.. i checked the battery voltage and it read 11.57 however the cart will barely turn over?? i have a 1000 cranking amp deep cycle marine battery in it, anyone ever run into this? thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

11.57 is flat try charging it and then run the cart and see if it is charging 13.5 to 15 volts
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
lyinlow
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

sorry for all the questions.. however i charged the battery got it off the ground started it up and on the starter/generator there are a bunch of terminals, in any combinations while running all i got was 11.6 volts.. which terminals exactly should i be checking?

if this is the true reading will i have to replace the starter/generator or are they serviceable?

thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Here's an except from the 1989 Gas Manual, testing the starter/generator
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 89 Generator Test.pdf (535.6 KB, 37 views)
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
ceta136
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Hi, on your starter/generator there is a letter maked DF (green wire or so). Disconnect this wire from your starter/generator. Get a wire! Hook it up to the DF and the other end to your NEG. batt terminal. This will determine if your starter/generator has the ability to charge. Don't run it long like this or your starter/generator will start to heat up (over a min or so!), just get one tire off the ground and check your charge reading. Your 11.57 volts are fine; the main issue that comes from a hard to start-up, is your 4 BRUSHING inside your starter/generator. There is a MIN. line maked on your BRUSHINGS, they maybe low already. An you can replace them! If you take to long to relace them, you'll damage your Field Magenets. (Your option) I cutted out and installed a volt meter on my 91's dash, and it charges @ 15.6v in the morning and 14.2v after it's warmed up.
ceta136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar