lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2023, 04:03 PM   #1
Buzzworth
Not Yet Wild

Default Controller Adjustment ?

Is there a unit that plugs into this controller to adjust the parameters ? It's way too jumpy, lots of torque.

Buzzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2023, 07:00 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller Adjustment ?

I'm new to the world of electric carts, but that looks like the basic series controller that I have. I think you want to check the resistance of your potentiometer.

Remove the black and white wires from J2 and J3 put your meter probes on the wires.
You should have 0 ohms and then they should increase smoothly to 5000 ohms as you step fully on the pedal.

Maybe I'm way off base and somebody that really knows will chime in.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:55 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Those who work every day with carts 'n related "stuff" (that's a tech term!) may know the controller type in the pic. But for the rest of us, you need to tell us what brand\model of controller you have.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like an old Marathon setup, which would probably mean a Curtis 1204. Early version of a cart controller & is not intended to be programable.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:47 AM   #5
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

thats a curtis controller from what I see but im no expert... many of them can in fact be adjusted with a cable and software.. if you go to yourtube there are videos showing how to do this. its not commonly done here or talked about as its not a controller thats commonly marketed as a performance mod even though you can pick up the 500a generic clones for under $200 new.
some of these controllers are indee locked though and the parameters can not be changed by the average joe.. the exact model and year of your cart may help determine which you have.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:50 AM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Looks like an old Marathon setup, which would probably mean a Curtis 1204. Early version of a cart controller & is not intended to be programable.
There are curtis1204 controllers that can be programmed.

https://cdn.curtisinstruments.com/pr..._manual_en.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Programmable-.../dp/B09YRCT4RQ

my guess it someone swapped this controller in and its not programmed for the correct throttle sensor signal that the cart has to begin with.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:24 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Standard Curtis handheld and there are some things you can change but jumpy throttle would point to an issue at the throttle box.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:41 PM   #8
Buzzworth
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all. Sorry I didn't specify. I had another thread recently with problems with a controller that got hot. So, I replaced it with this one.
This is a 1204 chinesium clone.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188364

sean
Buzzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:32 PM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Those can easily be programmed following the directions on youtube.. there are a few videos on this. Fyi the original curtis units are "Chinese" made too..
Old 02-04-2023, 03:33 PM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Standard Curtis handheld and there are some things you can change but jumpy throttle would point to an issue at the throttle box.
Or the wrong throttle type selected by default. Chances are good this is the issue.
Being this is a clone the free software and diy or purchased cable will work to program it without a handheld device needed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO