lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2023, 04:15 PM   #1
Powder Burns
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 TXT, 36V, stripped hub(s)?

OK my cart is as noted in the title, with off road tires and a moderate lift kit. I've upgraded the solenoid, controller, F/R switch, and replaced the rear leaf springs.

Recently I tried to very slowly creep over a big block with the rear drivers side wheel. The cart was heavily loaded. Just as the tire was starting to climb up the block, it gave out and immediately sounded like something metallic had stripped out - a heck of a grinding sound. No movement in either direction, just a loud grinding sound.

I jacked it up and tried it again. The wheel kinda shimmered (left side). I didn't see the right side move at all.

I took off the left rear wheel and sure enough the shaft spins but the hub does not. So it sound like a stripped hub. That said, when I took off the hub, the splines on the hub don't look horrible, nor do those on the axle shaft.

Based on a bunch of threads here, it seems like OEM hubs are far better than whatever Amazon has. It also seems that there used to be some beefed up replacement hubs, but those may no longer be produced?

So my questions:
-where is the best place to get GOOD replacement hubs? I hope to buy from a sponsor (I've happily bought from Scottyb in the past, but he does not seem to have hubs).
-should I replace both hubs, or just the offending one?
-any other things to look out for?

We use the cart on our farm to give rides to our large adult autistic son, so I hope to get it back working ASAP for him.

Also, I have learned that I need to torque the castle nut down pretty tight (120-145ftlbs or so). FWIW when removing the castle nut, it wasn't super tight. Not loose, but not hard to remove with a standard lug wrench.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Powder Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2023, 06:28 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 TXT, 36V, stripped hub(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Burns View Post

I took off the left rear wheel and sure enough the shaft spins but the hub does not. So it sound like a stripped hub. That said, when I took off the hub, the splines on the hub don't look horrible, nor do those on the axle shaft.
If the axle turns but does not turn the drum then it's definitely stripped. Surprising though that you can't SEE the stripped splines in the hub. The hub is much softer metal than the axle so it always strips clean and the axle splines will be caked with the residue from the hub and may initially appear stripped, but they can be cleaned out individually with an ice pick before mounting a new hub ( or drum as the case may be ) . Tighten the hell out of the axle nut going back on.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:20 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

May want to do a quick search here on axle hubs.seem to remember there was another brand ( Yamaha) that made a stronger hub that fit ez go’s ?
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:20 PM   #4
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I stripped 2 of the OEM one piece hubs and have since went to 2 piece hubs like these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/31388486173...Bk9SR66T5dnAYQ

7 years and counting plus running a Navitas motor which has significant torque.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:09 PM   #5
Powder Burns
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there any other source for new hubs besides eBay? I don’t use eBay.

It seems Amazon has something that looks close enough (although the brand for electric TXTs is not the same as the brand recommended here - which they do have for gas TXTs). Still I’d prefer a site sponsor…
Powder Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:30 PM   #6
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry, can’t help you there. Maybe try google.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO