lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2022, 08:37 PM   #51
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Fully Independent Suspension Build

That looks so much more right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marathon Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #52
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartMan154 View Post
Looks nice!

Thanks kartman. Appreciate the kind words.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:31 PM   #53
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The double a arm front end geometry needs to be spot on like factory or it won't work correctly. One thing I did was I actually sectioned off the original atv subframe and used the factory mounting points. What I found when anyone made their own mounts they never really were able to duplicate the factory mounting position and they always had camber cycling, bump steer and binding.

Your shock does look like its mounted too far to the front on the top mount.

One thing you should do.....put the cart up on jack stands and remove the front shocks. Remove the tires. Cycle the a arms up and down and see if they move freely. Then, as you cycle them, take note of the hub face position. In a perfect world you want the hub to stay straight up and down/plumb.

If the hub tilts outward at the top slightly when fully compressed, that's normal. like this \ /

If the hub tilts inward slightly at full extension, that's normal, like this / \

This is called camber cycling. Ideally you want camber to stay neutral during the entire movment, but it's tough, even the best off road suspensions have some camber cycling.

The other thing you want to look for is bump steer. When you move the suspension up and down, do the hubs turn? I can tell you that most home built suspension have tons of bump steer. This is bad because when you hit a bump your cart will want to dart to one side or the other, making it dangerous to drive. You want bump steer to be zero. Again, geometry is key here. It has to do with the angle of the tie rod matching the angle of the a arms, while bisecting the mounting points at your heims. I can help you with that as you get your parts together. I recommend when you setup your rack and pinion, make sure your outer tie rod end/heim joint is even with the inner a arm mounting point. The rest can be adjusted.

This suspension project you have going is not easy. To get it right it's going to take lots of hours of trial and error setups with the heim joints and strut lengths and coil over angles and lots lots more. Racing teams spend all year building and testing suspensions, and it takes all week between races to get them dialed in for the races. Don't get discouraged, just know it's gonna take time.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #54
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all that info. I have paid attention to caster and camber and bump steer (as best as I can to this point because I don’t have the rack yet). The suspension cycles good and maintains the roughly 2* of negative camber I ended up with. I was trying for 1* but ended up with about 1.6*.

The one thing I think I may end up with that could be not optimal is the caster of the hub. With the mounts being 3/8” too far back on top it changes the caster angle of the hub slightly, but I’m talking very slightly, maybe 1*.

I wish I would have had a Trx450r frame to at least take measurements from. I looked at buying one but guys want $800 to $1000 for them and that defeats the budget.

I think I’m really close on that front end. I spent days making mock ups and checking everything with angle finders and stuff.

I’ll take the tires off and the shocks and take some pictures of the cycles and the angles.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #55
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have figured out a rear disc brake system that’s going to work pretty good I believe.

More and that to come.

Old 12-02-2022, 03:43 AM   #56
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Matt View Post

I have figured out a rear disc brake system that’s going to work pretty good I believe.

More and that to come.

Honda Civic brakes?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:40 AM   #57
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Miata. Lol Are civics a known solution?

Old 12-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #58
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Miata. Lol Are civics a known solution?

I don't think anything is a known solution. Curious how this works out. Keep us posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:30 PM   #59
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

The one issue I have found with the brakes are the depth of offset. Even with 2” wheel spacers the disc sits inside the rim of the wheel and with my 10” wheels there is not enough room for the caliper. It would be fine with a 12” wheel though. But I really don’t want to have to buy 12” wheels when I have brand new tires on these 10” wheels. Trying to decide what to do about that.

Old 12-02-2022, 04:19 PM   #60
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The one issue I have found with the brakes are the depth of offset. Even with 2” wheel spacers the disc sits inside the rim of the wheel and with my 10” wheels there is not enough room for the caliper. It would be fine with a 12” wheel though. But I really don’t want to have to buy 12” wheels when I have brand new tires on these 10” wheels. Trying to decide what to do about that.

Maybe you can sell your tires and wheels and buy what will fit.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts