lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

Default ParCar 199x - 1995 clutch removal

There is zero information out for the later 3-5 years on the parcar. The clutch changed in 92 or 93 from what I can gather and no longer has the threads inside the shaft. No tool is available and no information can be found on the outside thread type. So I'm here to put out a searchable thread for anyone else having an issue.

The thread on the end is an M20 by 1.5 pitch. Essentially a fine thread M20. I bought an M20 x 1.5 nut and an 8 inch 3/8 or larger bolt. Cut the bolt down to approx 7.5 inches. It took some trial and error to find the right length. I cut off approx 6 threads. Right the threads off the end so the bottom is slightly tapered and a smooth surface should keep your threads from getting bunged up.

The issue with welding everything up is the bolt head falls through the nut. I welded a large washer to the bolt head. Be sure the nut is on at least 2 threads or 3, any less and you risk screwing up the threads. Cut some off the end of the bolt if it's too long. I have no idea what the washer size is as I pulled it out of my bolt bin from lawnmower parts so it was thicker than normal.

Now thread the nut onto the end of the shaft and drop the bolt in. Back the nut off until it just touches the washer. Tack the nut to the washer. If you don't do this the whole thing may not be centered. I have one laying here that is not centered and one I cut too short. Anyway. Now remove the assembly and finish weld the nut to the washer/bolt assembly. Wait for it too cool. Cooling naturally decreased the shrinkage I had. The nut would fit very tight if I water cooled it.

Thread the whole assembly on. Using a large crescent wrench I threaded the tool on as tight as possible. Then I hit the end of the assembly with an air hammer. Re tightened again and schmucked it with the air hammer where it fell off like butter in an oven.

Hope this helps someone. Also from what I've read so far just looking at parts the older clutch from prior to 91-93 can be used as a replacement if yours is bad. Mine really isn't good anymore but I wanna make sure it runs well before sinking that kind of money into it.

I did all of this as I got my 95 in a trade. Go kart for Golf cart. Dude said he was taking to a shop but they hasn't touched it. It ran intermittently and had sat all winter. I cranked long enough on it for it to start. Drove it down the block with very little power and into the garage where it no longer ran. Subsequent attempts resulted in no starting. I tried ether out of desperation one day and it blew it back out the carb.... Crank seals it was.

Got the fan side done but then on the clutch side found unwanted play in the crank shaft so suspected the bearing being bad. Upon clutch removal last night it's confirmed that the crank bearing on clutch side has too much play in it. I have all the parts here as I suspected this so I will be splitting the cases this week sometime to do bearings and seals. Top end should be fine as it had 90psi on my crappy compression gauge that usually reads low so I should be good on the top end for now.

If I get it all running then I'll likely order a new clutch and belt as the belt is fairly worn too.

Seats are in good condition on this one but some of the body work is bad. It's missing a whole piece on the right front nose.

Hope this helps someone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64126553981__05B6B225-1D1E-44CC-85B1-C3D8F0193490.jpg (24.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4409.jpg (133.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4559.jpg (14.1 KB, 0 views)
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
Dw21
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: ParCar 199x - 1995 clutch removal

Great info, thanks! My clutch appears to be fine, BUT I believe that I too have a bit of play in the shaft (bearing?) which leads to a big vibration at certain speeds and when decelerating. Does the clutch have to be removed to replace the crank bearing? As of now, that is my best guess as to where the big vibration is coming from. Thanks for any input.
Dw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

Yes the clutch has to come off and the cases split. Just did it a few months ago.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
Dw21
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. After I thought about it, of course it does. I have a bad vibration at certain speeds and when slowing down (almost stopped). I feel like there is a tad bit of play in the bearing for the shaft, but can’t be certain.

So…there is no sense in me looking for a puller for my 95 model? No threads inside to use a puller on? Thanks again

And…did you find somewhere to get gasket for the case halves, or just use yamabond or something? Thanks!
Old 10-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw21 View Post
Thank you. After I thought about it, of course it does. I have a bad vibration at certain speeds and when slowing down (almost stopped). I feel like there is a tad bit of play in the bearing for the shaft, but can’t be certain.

So…there is no sense in me looking for a puller for my 95 model? No threads inside to use a puller on? Thanks again

And…did you find somewhere to get gasket for the case halves, or just use yamabond or something? Thanks!
eBay for the gaskets. Where in the world are you located? If you’re close enough you use my tool. If not you’re gonna build one or find someone to make one.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
Dw21
Not Yet Wild

I am in southeastern KY. That is a generous offer and I appreciate it. I think I can follow your guide to make one. I’m fairly experienced with welding and tinkering. But if you happen to be down the road…haha.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Dw21
Not Yet Wild

Got my clutch off thanks to your instructions. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2021, 07:08 PM   #8
Dw21
Not Yet Wild

Hers what my “puller” ended up looking like if anyone ever needs a visual. Not too much to look at, but done the job for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC127E30-5EAC-49ED-BAFC-60D36157E6A3.jpg (107.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

Better design than mine for sure. You can get a wrench on your nut.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
Dw21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanthonyii View Post
Better design than mine for sure. You can get a wrench on your nut.
Thanks. Sad to say I prob never would have thought of it/trusted it if it weren’t for your post.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar