lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
yeznatea
Not Yet Wild

Default Desision To Go Ahead On Ike Rebuild

I have herd the words of the wise, I have seen the pictures of those that have gone before. Now and again, comes the one who try's to tread where Angels fear to go,Iguess that would be me. I have ordered Parts & repair books. Taken much of the cart apart and am about to start the cleaning and sorting. Like the Old Folks Say la Vie ! Al
yeznatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Decision To Go Ahead On Ike Rebuild

Yeah, I'm glad I don't live in the hurricane areas.....The hidden damage ....
(body, suspension, and frame rust) will not show for 1 to 5 years to come....That's when the consumer will have to really watch out for these carts. The frames have holes in them so the salt water filled the frame and when it recedes the salt is left to do it's corrosive damage....IMHO
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Desision To Go Ahead On Ike Rebuild

Why doesn't this suprise me? Good luck on your project, let's hope your 'donor' cart is in better overall condition than to one we've been working on. His repair bill is now well over $3,000.00...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

[QUOTE=yeznatea;119388]I have herd the words of the wise, I have seen the pictures of those that have gone before. Now and again, comes the one who try's to tread where Angels fear to go,Iguess that would be me.

ONE ????? If it were only just one
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Why doesn't this suprise me? Good luck on your project, let's hope your 'donor' cart is in better overall condition than to one we've been working on. His repair bill is now well over $3,000.00...
Mike,

Don't take this the wrong way... But how much of the "well over $3,000.00" is your shop labor costs??? I'm in the service business and can see your side too.. I'll be the first to admit that it's not economically feasible to have an "Ike cart" refurbed at a dealer or service center.. But for someone who has a basic understanding of the mechanical/electrical systems of these carts, they can have a decent, dependable cart for less than cost of one that hasn't been flooded.. I estimate that I'll have about $1200-1500 in parts in my "Ike cart" when it's completely finished...

IMO, part of what is driving people to fix up the "Ike carts" is the huge price increase for clean non-flooded used carts.. I personally have seen two early 90's Marathons sell for over $1500 each, these were just plain jane stock carts.. There is a huge demand for non flooded replacement carts that have driven used cart prices thru the roof..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you need non-flooded cart, I suggest you drive to Dallas. Our carts are the same price as they were this past Summer!

Our labor cost is $900.00 on the IKE cart - FYI.

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Come to Phoenix... there are carts everywhere here for peanuts...seriously. If they aren't cheap they just sit. Everyone knows they don't have to pay much for them.
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

As the addage goes...
"You get what you pay for"

There's nothing better then a "project" cart, Tear in to it,
Replace stuff, get her going, and lookin' good!
But, If it's a "salt water" cart... you might want to sell it... FAST!

I bought my cart new... and still continuing dumping $$$ into it...
I've got over 8 g's total, into it... And I couldn't be happier! (and I'm not done yet!)
It won't be for sale until I'm dead!
But, that's just me...

People... "do what ya' gotta' do"...
But if we (BGW) cant help you... then I guess your SOL...

Best of luck on your decisions!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

I'm gonna try to address some of this "fear" of saltwater corrosion... Of the three major brands of carts, a Club Car DS is quite possibly the BEST candidate for these type of rebuilds.. The plastic bodies are immune to the effects of saltwater, and the aluminum frames are highly resistant to saltwater's corrosive efforts.. In fact the Club Car DS frame is very easy to clean since it's entirely made up from aluminum extrusions.. The main rails are "I" beam, and the rest is flat bar, channel or angle, the only tubular material is in the front crossmember.. And it's sealed at both ends..

Personally, I would never consider an EZGO or Yamaha for this type of project.. Their hollow, tubular, mild steel frames would be next to impossible to properly clean internally.. They quite possibly wouldn't outlast the new parts installed to make them operational, IMHO...
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
JRay
**** guzzler
Club Car

That popped into my mind the other day that the aluminum framed cc's would be the best for this type of restoration.
JRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car