lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
lhutter1
Not Yet Wild

Default Foreseeable issues running a 36v cart, running at 48v?

Hey guys!

I have a 36 volt HD DE40 golf cart and am looking to upgrade it to 48 volt using the existing motor. Eventually, I’ll be installing a VFD (still not done yet), but for now it’s still just resistors and contactors. I’m changing the contactors to 48 volt.

My question is, does anyone see a problem running the 36 volt motor and resistors at 48 volts? The current would be considerably lower at 48 volts and there shouldn't be enough voltage to jump gaps or breach insulation… Just making sure I’m not missing something.

Thanks!
Lorne
lhutter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Foreseeable issues running a 36v cart, running at 48v?

The motor itself can probably handle the increase in voltage if it is in good condition. But, unless you get rid of the resistor coil speed control you will be having a meltdown shortly.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
lhutter1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scottyb, hadn't considered that. I would have thought the lower current would counteract the rise in voltage, but I'd rather not risk it.

That said, I'll sort of jump topic just a bit to the drive I'll be using instead of the resistors... I'm looking for a pedal that uses a 10k pot for the control of my VFD (the reason I haven't changed it over yet) or some method of moving a 10k pot via a pedal. Any ideas on where to find such a thing?

Thanks,
Lorne
Old 04-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhutter1 View Post
Thanks Scottyb, hadn't considered that. I would have thought the lower current would counteract the rise in voltage, but I'd rather not risk it.

That said, I'll sort of jump topic just a bit to the drive I'll be using instead of the resistors... I'm looking for a pedal that uses a 10k pot for the control of my VFD (the reason I haven't changed it over yet) or some method of moving a 10k pot via a pedal. Any ideas on where to find such a thing?

Thanks,
Lorne
You mention VFD, are you talking about a variable frequency drive? I have only ever seen those in AC to AC 50 one 60Hz applications.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:23 AM   #5
lhutter1
Not Yet Wild

Good call Revolution... It is, however, possible to have a DC input as well and still be considered a VFD (variable frequency drive), as long as the output is AC. In an AC to AC VFD you convert AC to DC and then back to AC.

I called it a VFD, as this one started off as a DC input/3ph output low voltage VFD used for HVAC systems on buses. A few parts upgrades and some trace cuts and jumpers and now it's been converted to a simple DC PWM generator/amp good to 100V and lots of amps. I work as a tech in a drives development group, so mods were easy and cheap with some engineering help. :) It's all done and ready to install, my big hangup is the pedal or method of speed control...

Thanks,
L.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Very cool! I would love to here more about the modifications to the VFD. I have access to quite a few large ones at work that will be scrapped soon, it would be neat to re use them as controllers.

For your throttle control you might be able to replace the pot in a curtis foot peddle or pot box with a 10k instead of the 5k.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson