lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2022, 09:54 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdude77 View Post
Perhaps it is the reduced capacity at colder temperatures but would ambient temperatures in the low 50's really have this much effect?
Yes. Performance and capacity will be reduced approx 10% or more going from 80F to 50F depending on the battery.

Your battery is rated at 600 peak, 200 amps continuous.

However, your ac system is also rated at 600 peak, though I cannot find what it is rated for continuous. I think you’re system is getting close to the threshold, but matched pretty well to your battery for optimum conditions, but with a reduction in temp sounds like it’s just enough to put it over the edge and shut down the BMS. I don’t think it’s the temp itself shutting down the BMS as much as it is the reduced performance due to the temps putting it over the threshold of what the BMS considers “ok”. Colder temps slow down all the reactions inside the battery that make the juice flow.

If you turn down the current maximums in your controller I think you should be fine (assuming my theory is correct).

Living in Michigan I can say I definitely see a difference running at 50 degrees vs 80-90 degrees in the summer. And I’m running a stock controller still. The colder it gets, the more noticeable it is. Range (capacity) especially drops drastically once the white stuff starts hitting the ground. This year I’ll probably mostly park my electric cart for the winter and use my gas one. It doesn’t care if it’s warm or cold

Here’s a chart that may be helpful. It’s a generic chart but does illustrate how much difference temp makes.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1CDA7090-119D-43A3-9D46-59CD2FC1E9EE.png (111.6 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car