lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
bconne1
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 EZGO not running/running very slowly

I've read through some threads before registering and starting this one, but I apologize in advance if my questions are tired.

As stated, I've got a 2010 EZGO electric cart. I've got the run/tow switch so I gather that makes mine a PDS. We are the original owners.

A few months ago we noticed that the cart was travelling at about half speed (no confirmation via GPS or anything, but we can all tell when our machine is underperforming). Ultimately it failed to run at all. Figuring the batteries were nearly 4 years old, we bought an entirely new array. The problem remained. A several hundred dollar investment probably isn't troubleshooting step #1, but what's done is done.

I performed a diagnostic test and got four beeps. I couldn't discern if it was 1-3 or 3-1 or 2-2, but the number of beeps along with the symptoms I believed my speed sensor is bad or otherwise not performing correctly. However, I do not own a pair of snap ring pliers so disassembling the motor/speed sensor seems like it's out of the equation.

I performed the "roll test" and got the requisite beeps. I put the cart on jack stands and with no weight on the rear tires they spun exceptionally quickly when the pedal was depressed. When jacked back down the cart would barely crawl.

Is it possible the motor is damaged or bound somehow? Is it time to call it quits and bring it to a professional? I opened the controller shroud but had no clue what I was looking at. I didn't see where any of my wires or posts were labeled B+ or B- but I did find 35-36 VDC between two large lugs up top. When the pedal was depressed, the tires spun extremely fast and that voltage dropped to about 25 VDC.

In any event, I appreciate any help you all can provide.

Thanks in advance.
bconne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2010 EZGO not running/running very slowly

Maybe your batteries are not getting charged like they should (weak charger?). Check the battery voltage when the cart is moving slow. I don't think the backwards roll test would generate beeps if the speed sensor wasn't working. More expert help available here besides me. But they going to want the battery voltage after charging and let set overnight. You can take it to a professional if you like but if you can measure voltage and read diagrams posted on this site and follow suggestions you might save some money because the professional are here. (Not me)
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

If you only get one set of 4 beeps and then silence, when you first put it into diagnostic mode, the controller is just telling you it is in Freedom Mode.

The error codes are a repeating sequence. IE: Beep - Pause - Beep-Beep-Beep. Then it repeats a few moments later.

------------
There are 3 large terminals on top of a PDS controller. 2 tall ones and a shorter one one the driver's side. They are labeled on the drawing at the top of the attached schematic.

If you were measure between the two tall ones (B+ and B-), you should get a few volts less than the battery pack voltage when the pedal is up and exactly the same as the battery pack voltage when the pedal is pressed just far enough for the solenoid to click.

Again, if you were measuring between the two tall terminals, and the voltage dropped to 25V when the wheels were spinning in the air, you either have some serious cable/connection issues or the new batteries are not charged.

What is the battery pack voltage when measured after the batteries have sit for about 12 hours after the charger shuts off automatically?
Should be 38.2V, probably a bit higher since they are new.

--------
What make/model Batteries do you have?
What make/model Charger?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (64.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
bconne1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Welcome to BGW!

If you only get one set of 4 beeps and then silence, when you first put it into diagnostic mode, the controller is just telling you it is in Freedom Mode.

The error codes are a repeating sequence. IE: Beep - Pause - Beep-Beep-Beep. Then it repeats a few moments later.

------------
There are 3 large terminals on top of a PDS controller. 2 tall ones and a shorter one one the driver's side. They are labeled on the drawing at the top of the attached schematic.

If you were measure between the two tall ones (B+ and B-), you should get a few volts less than the battery pack voltage when the pedal is up and exactly the same as the battery pack voltage when the pedal is pressed just far enough for the solenoid to click.

Again, if you were measuring between the two tall terminals, and the voltage dropped to 25V when the wheels were spinning in the air, you either have some serious cable/connection issues or the new batteries are not charged.

What is the battery pack voltage when measured after the batteries have sit for about 12 hours after the charger shuts off automatically?
Should be 38.2V, probably a bit higher since they are new.

--------
What make/model Batteries do you have?
What make/model Charger?
So the four beeps are good? I'm not sure what Freedom Mode is.

The batteries are Energizer GC2s - 107 minutes at 7.5 amps.

The charger is an EZGO PowerWise Qe.

After a full charge (I'll have to check them after the 12 hour rest in the morning) but each battery is between 6.5-6.6 VDC. It's raining like a champ now so I didn't check the solenoid.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconne1 View Post
So the four beeps are good? I'm not sure what Freedom Mode is.

The batteries are Energizer GC2s - 107 minutes at 7.5 amps.

The charger is an EZGO PowerWise Qe.

After a full charge (I'll have to check them after the 12 hour rest in the morning) but each battery is between 6.5-6.6 VDC. It's raining like a champ now so I didn't check the solenoid.
A PDS controller has four modes of operation that can be selected by installing J2 plugs with different pins jumpered. Attached are drawing showing the various plugs and the various modes

Energizer has two grades of GC2 batteries, 232AH and 208AH. Apparently you have the economy grade (208AH -- 107 Minutes at 75A)
Those should work okay, just shorter run0time and shorter lifespan.

A Powerwise will charge a battery pack adequately when the work, but need to the pack voltage and individual battery voltages after they have sit for 12 hours to know if it is working.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
bconne1
Not Yet Wild

All right, so the batteries sat for about 24 hours and they've all dropped down to 6.3-6.4 VDC...except one. That one is down to 4.3. I didn't check the voltage at the solenoid - I just shouted an obscenity and picked up my meter.

I guess something is going to ground? Think I'll load it up and drag it to the place I bought it this weekend. See if they can find a short or something.

Thank you all for the help. I'm more of an AC guy as opposed to DC (I don't know how something is going to ground sitting on four rubber insulators ) but by no means an electrician. However, I've learned more about carts in this past week than I knew before. I'll let you know what turns up.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Battery that reads 4.3 is dead. Maybe that's your only problem.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
bconne1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
Battery that reads 4.3 is dead. Maybe that's your only problem.
Could it be dead though? It charged to over 6.5 VDC. I understand it isn't holding a charge, but if it were truly skunked would it even take the charge?

I'd hate to think that a battery less than 2 months old has gone kaput...but maybe you're right. That'd make for an easy, albeit embarrassing, fix.

I'm thinking of swapping around one of the good batteries with the bad one. If the bad one takes and holds a charge and the good one begins to lose voltage that may identify a cause. I think the low battery had some other wires coming off the lugs along with being daisy-chained to the next one. Maybe one of those wires has a short.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #9
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you take it to the shop carry your charger too. In the meantime if you want to some more experience working on golf carts and batteries you can try a few more things. Disconnect the extra wire on the battery having the low voltage and charge the bank again. Also let us know each battery individually and the battery bank voltage while charging.

It does appear you certainly have a bad or discharged battery. But since this is a new set that didn't fix your problem I would be suspicious of the charger and that extra wire on the battery and where it goes. If you have 12 volt accessories it is probably one end of two batteries in series tapped to get the 12 volts. You might also look at the water level in the suspect battery for excessive gassing during charging and compare to some of the others. About 42 volts would be a typical battery bank voltage during charging.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:09 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconne1 View Post
Could it be dead though? It charged to over 6.5 VDC. I understand it isn't holding a charge, but if it were truly skunked would it even take the charge?

I'd hate to think that a battery less than 2 months old has gone kaput...but maybe you're right. That'd make for an easy, albeit embarrassing, fix.

I'm thinking of swapping around one of the good batteries with the bad one. If the bad one takes and holds a charge and the good one begins to lose voltage that may identify a cause. I think the low battery had some other wires coming off the lugs along with being daisy-chained to the next one. Maybe one of those wires has a short.
Perhaps deflective is a more accurate term than dead, but yes, a deep-cycle lead-acid wet-cell battery can appear to have taken a charge shortly after being charged and show signs of failure several hours later.

New does not equate to good. Warranty Return Rate is a statistic that would not exist if new items didn't fail.

If your battery pack is tapped to provide accessory power, and the was a problem in the accessory wiring, two batteries would be drained.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO