lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Curtis 1205

I posted awhile back about my controller being bad and I was going to attempt to take it apart and see what's inside! This was the day, and it went well with getting the cover off. I used a dental pick to remove the sealer from around the six screws and they came out easily. So did about a tablespoon of water!I then removed the seal at the lug end and slid out the electronics. The way the controller is mounted is on it's side with the pot wires on the bottom. I'm sure this resulted in a partial short causing my cart to move without throddle control! So my plan is to clean up the circuit board where corrosion is actually connecting pins together, dry it out real well, and see if it works properly. Nothing lost if it doesn't, right. Ok, I'm curious of how a " sealed " unit got water in it to begin with? Also can I mount the controller where it won't get wet, but there is no appreciable air movement? I'm not sure how much cooling it needs ( if any ). The whole outside cover in effect is one big heatsink. I'd like to get all this worked out before I upgrade to 48V.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Curtis 1205

even the best seals will still alow some moisture in and controllers are not sealed the best to begin with.....

As for remote mounting it, as long as you mount it to a nice thick piece of aluminum, I don't see an issue......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
even the best seals will still alow some moisture in and controllers are not sealed the best to begin with.....

As for remote mounting it, as long as you mount it to a nice thick piece of aluminum, I don't see an issue......

Thanks for the info! I have a storage compartment that is enclosed. I'll move the controller there. It is originally mounted on a steel bracket next to the right wheel. It could get wet if you went through puddles or even just driving when it's wet. What do you recommend as a heatsink? I have various sizes of aluminum plate available to me at a recycling yard. I did check the motor and controller once ( after a fair drive ) and both were only warm. I was totally amazed at the amount of water that was in it when I opened it up!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I like to use a 1/4 in plate slightly larger than the controller itself.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW - To get a good heat transfer to the aluminum plate, clean off the aluminum oxide (Dull finish) on both the controller and heatsink where they come in contact.
Also, a thin layer of thermal compound will help. The cheap stuff from Radio Shack for mounting heatsinks on CPU chips will work.

I know some will think it is overkill, but I prefer over-kill to under-kill.

BTW, Nice job of "fixin" your controller.
Didn't happen to take any pictures did you?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
FWIW - To get a good heat transfer to the aluminum plate, clean off the aluminum oxide (Dull finish) on both the controller and heatsink where they come in contact.
Also, a thin layer of thermal compound will help. The cheap stuff from Radio Shack for mounting heatsinks on CPU chips will work.

I know some will think it is overkill, but I prefer over-kill to under-kill.

BTW, Nice job of "fixin" your controller.
Didn't happen to take any pictures did you?
Sorry, no pics. I don't have a camera yet. Unfortunately the controller didn't get fixed! I saw nothing burned in it, but obviously it doesn't have to be burned to not work. Like I said before, nothing lost! Thanks for your tip about putting some thermal paste on it. I have some that you use on a distributor module.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curtis06.jpg (181.5 KB, 12 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
like this?
And I thought I was OCD.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
like this?

I see I'm not the only one! I'll be hunting in the junkyard tomorrow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO