lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing
Hunting and Fishing Post all your hunting and fishing experiences here.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Default Re: So ready to start turkey hunting!!!

Here's a pic of both of my bros turkeys. I had to work while they were out hunting. I haven't had any success the few times I've went.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DICKYTURKEY.JPG (145.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg TIMTURKEY.JPG (174.2 KB, 10 views)
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 AM   #12
kmartz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Those are dandy birds. Congrats to your brother. Did he do any weighing or measuring? That rotten 4-letter word "work" sure does get in the way some times doesn't it? Good luck when you do get to go and be safe.
kmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
goodoleboy80
Getting Wild
Club Car

Season opens here in KY tomorrow and it is pouring rain now.
goodoleboy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #14
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm in ky too. Nasty weather gonna keep me out in the morning but be there for the evening hunt
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
kmartz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I have been out two mornings for about 45 minutes each morning. I have heard gobbling both mornings. Day one was pretty uneventful. He was too far for me to strike out after since I had to be home by 7 am before I had to leave for school. I teach 6th grade middle school. Day 2 was more interesting. I sat up on one at 6:15. He gobbled 6-7 times and then I think I heard him gobble on the ground. When I sat up I didn't consider, with no leaves, his gobble will travel a long way. I believe he was a hollow away when he hit the ground. That was my bad judgement. Anyway, I sat unitl 6:45 and decided it was time to go. On my way back home I heard two different gobbles where I just was. It was 7 am by now so I shook my head and thought there is always tomorrow. They must have come in while I was exiting. Argh! That's hunitng.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #16
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartz View Post
Those are dandy birds. Congrats to your brother. Did he do any weighing or measuring? That rotten 4-letter word "work" sure does get in the way some times doesn't it? Good luck when you do get to go and be safe.
Sorry it took so long to reply. I overlooked your post somehow. The pic on the left was killed by my middle brother (behind the bird), and it was 19 lbs, 9 inch beard with 1 inch spurs. The one on the right was killed by my older bro (in both pics), and it weighed 20 lbs, 10.5 inch beard, with 1 inch spurs. I got invited on a supposedly "jam up" hunt this Saturday! I hope it turns out nice weather, and the Lord blessed me with one too. There are so many folks trying out turkey hunting now, that it's great if I get one bird a year. Even on private property! In the lowcountry of SC if you can hear a bird gobble, you can bet there's someone else calling to him from a .5 acre block somewhere close.
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #17
reinman88
Gone Wild

So far I've only had one chance to get out. Been way too cold and wet to do much hunting. Had a tom and hen about 50 yards out, but he wouldn't leave her for me, so no luck.

My son in law has been out a couple times. He set up his ground blind and was putting out his decoy when he wondered why the tree not too far away had so many leaves already. Turned out it was full of turkeys.

He missed a tom at about 20 yards. He wasn't sure why he missed. I found out he had purchased a choke that would be good out to 40 yards for turkeys. I told him let's go pattern it. Turns out at 20 yards most of the pattern is within a 6 to 8 inch circle. I told him if you're off a couple inches, you'll miss. So the choke is back in the box.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
kmartz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

This is day 3-5 for my first week of the season. Because I teach I have Easter break off thur and fri this week. Anyhow, wednesday morning was similiar to monday and tuesday, a few gobbles from a lone bird and then nothing. At 7 am I was home and then on my way to school.

Thursday was my first full day of hunting. All the gobbling was in the early am and nothing more. My buddy and I set up on one. He was pretty friendly but he wanted us to join him instead of him joining us. We moved on and spent the rest of the moring enjoying each other's company. Around 9 we stopped for coffee and a poptart as we usually do. While we pause for the morning we usually mess around with our arsenal of calls and play around. Many times in the past we have struck up some hens and the occasional gobbler. This day we called in two guys. We are very careful in identifying our target. Seems impossible to mistakenly shoot another hunter when turkey hunting IF you follow basic safety. These two guys answered our calls and we dove behind a log and believed a hen was coming to us, hopefully with a gobbler in tow. Well, the calling gets louder so we know she is coming. All of a sudden two guys appear 40 yards way. It was very scarry for us knowing that these two guys attempted to sneak up on us believing we were turkeys and we were ready with guns pointed at them.

Friday was better but bitter sweet. We came upon a guy whom we discoverd was gobbling at daylight. We thought he was the real mccoy but wasn't responsive enough for us to persue, thank goodness. From 7-10 we heard a few more gobbles but they all seemed to be courtsey gobbles and nothing more. Right around 10:30 we heard a lone gobble pretty far. We tried calling a few more times and nothing, so we decided to close the distance and call again. Wrong move! He was on the way and we bumped each other. ARGH! Lessons of the trukey woods are sometimes cruel.

Times are slow right now in MD. The weather is in the 40's and rainy. The gobblers all seem to have a few girl friends or I am educating the ones that don't. Saturday is calling for rising temps and for 80-100% chance of rain and thunderstorms. I'll get up and see what the weather is doing.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #19
joshS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Im in Tallahassee FL. the season closes this sunday.Ive hunted one time.
joshS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #20
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

I busted one yesterday morning, 24 lbs, 10 1/2 " beard, 1" spurs, and 30" tail fan spread.
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing