lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
Roemer7
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 Club Car DS Electric Dead

2002 Club Car DS Electric IQ 48V

I’m in the process of installing a 12V voltage reducer and new LED lights. I put the cart in tow mode, disconnected the lead ground and lead positive cables from the battery pack and proceeded with my installation. When I was done I reconnected the ground and positive cables and switched back to run mode. Now the cart is dead as a doornail. The batteries are taking a charge, but when I turn the key, place the cart in run mode I get nothing. There is no reverse buzz, no power anything (including my new lights).

Any advice? My first thought is I blew a fuse somewhere, but where? I checked the yellow fuse at the charge terminal and it’s ok.

The cart was running fine before the install.

For the install I connected my 12V reducer to the lead positive and ground terminals. I also connected the reducer to the blue (what I think is the) switched ignition wire. The lights are connected to a new fuse block connected to the reducer and main ground from the battery pack. The reducer is a Relance 48v to 12v unit.

Thank you in advance.
Roemer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Roemer7
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2002 Club Car DS Electric Dead

Update:
I have full voltage at the key switch when jumping from battery pack negative cable to top terminal on key switch (red and green wires). Still no power to the cart.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

IQs sometimes have a main fuse under the controller cover at the rear of the car. It's usually a 15 amp fuse, normally found on Precedents but I've seen it on DSs as well.

All that yellow one you checked does is protect the On-Board Computer (OBC) which is part of the battery charging system. That one is a 3/8 amp and I've never seen it blow.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

How many wires does this reducer have? What is the negative output from the reducer going to?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Roemer7
Not Yet Wild

I tracked it down late last night. The keyed terminal at my ignition switch is bad. It's shorting out. I can hold it in place and the cart powers up. I may have broken it by removing the dash panel. I'll order a new one and see if that fixes it.
Anyway, thanks for digging into this with me. I'll update as this comes along.

The new lights look good. I ordered the Premium GTW LED light kit. It seems like lots of vendors carry the same kit. Interestingly, my kit came with a brake switch instead of the foot pad that's shown in photos. Having the adjustable headlamps is great.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

One thing to keep in mind when disconnecting spade terminals from the key switch or Tow/Run switch is to use a needle nose plier and pull the connector straight out, don't try to wiggle side to side as it can cause the terminals to break/come loose inside the switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car