lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
Toobitz
Not Yet Wild

Default Carbon Monoxide HELP!

I took delivery of a brand new 72v TXT a couple days ago. The dealer told me to leave it plugged in the entire time and that the charger would turn itself from and all that.

I’m sitting around today and my carbon monoxide detector starts going off in my basement. I have a third car garage around the side of my house that’s built for a golf cart. It’s too short for a car.

Anyway, a call to 911 and the fire department shows up. They bring their meters in and they are going wild. Turns out the source of the problem was the batteries on the golf cart. Looks like they got hot from being left on the charger and you could see a little shine on the top of the battery like some of the water boiled out or something.

Also my house started smelling like laundry that got left in the washer for a few days.

The firemen told me that the batteries were possibly bad; but I have been trying to look and understand why an electric golf cart would be releasing carbon monoxide into my house.

Anyone else have something similar? Or recommendations? I just dropped a ton of dough on this thing and have only had it three days.
Toobitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Carbon Monoxide HELP!

Batteries don't release Carbon monoxide. They will release hydrogen sulfide H2S when charging if overcharged. Is the charger turning off automatically? Your liquid levels are probably low. Fill with distilled water to 1/4 inch above the plates. If it was truly CO look for another source.

One last question. Is your detector a Carbon Monoxide & Explosive Gas Detector? If so the H2S may have been setting it off. Also CO is odorless.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Is that "third car garage" connected to the basement? Trying to picture this.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Call or email your CO manufacturer and see if false positives are possible, and which gasses would set it off. In my previous life, we used hand held gas detectors all the time, but they didn't respond to CO. LEL, O2, H2S, and others, so it's possible your fire dept didn't get proper training, OR, they identified a gas, and not necessarily CO. Call fire dept and see if they can read the report and tell you which gas or types of gasses triggered their detector.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Is that "third car garage" connected to the basement? Trying to picture this.
We have lots of homes in my area that have them on the same level as a two or three car garage. Sometimes, it's just a lawn mower, bicycle, tools, etc. home.

There are also ones like you described, with side or rear basement garage door(s).
Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Toobitz
Not Yet Wild

I have two driveways. One goes up a hill to the main floor of the house where there are two garage stalls.

The second goes around the side of the house where there’s basically a walkout basement with a garage door and a man door. The space in the basement which opens to the garage door is just deep enough to fit a golf cart. We live in a golf community and just moved in. I do have a lawnmower and weed wacker down there but neither have been ran. We just moved in last week.

The cart is brand new and has 1.7 miles on the clock. We just got it on Friday of last week and the batteries are all full. The CO meters were going crazy all over the house and we pulled the golf cart outside and lifted the seat and the meters spiked up. There were four fireman with three different styles of meters and all were getting CO readings from the cart.

Additionally, because the cart is stored and plugged in at the basement my entire house smelled terrible.

Three of the batteries had a film on the top where it looks like the water inside had boiled out and dried on top of the batteries which is probably where the smell came from. They sent a trailer over to my house today and picked the cart up and are going to test it.

I wanted electric to keep the noise down because we will be using it to get around the neighborhood at night time plus I don’t want to have to keep gas cans at the house all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Toobitz
Not Yet Wild

Also, I suppose it could have been overcharging but I’m assuming that since the cart, batteries and charger are all brand new it wouldn’t do that. The dealer told me the charger is smart enough to shut itself off when the cart is full charged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Please keep us posted as this is a first for most (all?) of us.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Hydrogen gas will set off many, if not most or all, household grade CO alarms and charging Lead-Acid batteries produces Hydrogen gas.

Google "battery charging setting off CO detectors" and spend some time reading.

I find this artyicle interesting: https://www.firehouse.com/rescue/art...lf-cart-hazard

Bottom line: Vent the battery charging area better.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Call or email your CO manufacturer and see if false positives are possible, and which gasses would set it off. In my previous life, we used hand held gas detectors all the time, but they didn't respond to CO. LEL, O2, H2S, and others, so it's possible your fire dept didn't get proper training, OR, they identified a gas, and not necessarily CO. Call fire dept and see if they can read the report and tell you which gas or types of gasses triggered their detector.
He chose not to.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO