lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Haunted 1992 Marathon WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
It's measuring almost correct, and as you pointed out .02k = 20 ohms, so water isn't affecting that. Is there any wiring between where you measured the resistance and where it goes to the controller?

If the controller got wet, maybe it can dry out? Did you hit it with a leaf blower or ShopVac with hose on the "blow" side?
No, those 2 wires (black and white) go to the controller from the pot.

I have a shop fan blowing in there now.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I don't know much of anything about the mechanics of pot-box throttles.
Here is all the imaging I have for them.

I can see that the connecting rod from bellcrank to pot shaft lever was adjusted to just about the ends of the threads. I suspect it should be adjusted so the top edge of the bellcrank and the pot shaft lever are roughly parallel as seen in the drawing. Then the rod to the pedal adjusted so you get the pot shaft lever to go to the mechanical stop when pedal is up.

I'm pretty sure the pot shaft is supposed to rotate 45° and the various holes on the pot shaft lever will give it different amounts of rotation.

----------
200Ω to 5880Ω is a bit high on both ends, so loosing the pot shaft lever clamp and turning the pot shaft CCW a little at a time until you get closer to 0Ω at pedal up. That will bring the top end down some also. Don't know how much since I don't know if pot is linear or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pot Box lever and rods.JPG (58.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pot pic.jpg (57.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I don't know much of anything about the mechanics of pot-box throttles.
Here is all the imaging I have for them.

I can see that the connecting rod from bellcrank to pot shaft lever was adjusted to just about the ends of the threads. I suspect it should be adjusted so the top edge of the bellcrank and the pot shaft lever are roughly parallel as seen in the drawing. Then the rod to the pedal adjusted so you get the pot shaft lever to go to the mechanical stop when pedal is up.

I'm pretty sure the pot shaft is supposed to rotate 45° and the various holes on the pot shaft lever will give it different amounts of rotation.

----------
200Ω to 5880Ω is a bit high on both ends, so loosing the pot shaft lever clamp and turning the pot shaft CCW a little at a time until you get closer to 0Ω at pedal up. That will bring the top end down some also. Don't know how much since I don't know if pot is linear or not.
.02k = 20 ohms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Throttle tests on 20k scale from about .02 to exactly 5.88.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Thanks for the diagrams JB. I'll figure out the mechanical end of this.

After reading a bit more about these things, and input from others it seems as though these carts can be very sensitive to water. I think I should probably wait a bit (I have a cage fan blowing on it now) before I try anything else. I'll get familiar with those drawings in the meanwhile.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
.02k = 20 ohms.
Neither my eyes nor brain cells are what they used to be.

Thanks for the catch.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the diagrams JB. I'll figure out the mechanical end of this.

After reading a bit more about these things, and input from others it seems as though these carts can be very sensitive to water. I think I should probably wait a bit (I have a cage fan blowing on it now) before I try anything else. I'll get familiar with those drawings in the meanwhile.
The attached manuals are for personnel and cargo carriers rather than golf carts, but they have pot-box throttles and Curtis 1204/1205 controllers, and an EZGO series drive is an EZGO series drive no matter what style body is covering it, so there might be some useful info in them.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The attached manuals are for personnel and cargo carriers rather than golf carts, but they have pot-box throttles and Curtis 1204/1205 controllers, and an EZGO series drive is an EZGO series drive no matter what style body is covering it, so there might be some useful info in them.
Thank you JB. As noted in the pot drawing you supplied, and what i earlier suspected, I think I will have to shorten the throttle rod nearest the go pedal. I also noted in one of the drawings that unlike the two of these carts I have like this, the drawing shows the short pot arm adjusting rod connected to the next to the last, not the last hole in the throttle arm.

I'll sort this out. I hope.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you JB. As noted in the pot drawing you supplied, and what i earlier suspected, I think I will have to shorten the throttle rod nearest the go pedal. I also noted in one of the drawings that unlike the two of these carts I have like this, the drawing shows the short pot arm adjusting rod connected to the next to the last, not the last hole in the throttle arm.

I'll sort this out. I hope.
But I don't think this explains WOT with go pedal up. Hopefully it's a wet controller. I'd think on a 0 - 5k pot control, 20 ohms would be really slow. Have you tried it on the ground? Is it still WOT? Just wondering if no load would sound like WOT. I've never done this.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
But I don't think this explains WOT with go pedal up. Hopefully it's a wet controller. I'd think on a 0 - 5k pot control, 20 ohms would be really slow. Have you tried it on the ground? Is it still WOT? Just wondering if no load would sound like WOT. I've never done this.
No it does not explain WOT. And I am estimating exactly what RPM's this thing is producing when it kicks in. It is however, well above 1/2 speed, maybe more in my estimation.

I can't explain why or even how this cart is doing this. I do know I have a Stanley blower type fan running WOT directed at the suspect components.

No I have not lowered it and tried running it. See no point until I get it all sorted out. It would have to be hard on the FNR, motor, rear etc. to slam this thing in gear the way it is.

Good questions.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
No it does not explain WOT. And I am estimating exactly what RPM's this thing is producing when it kicks in. It is however, well above 1/2 speed, maybe more in my estimation.

I can't explain why or even how this cart is doing this. I do know I have a Stanley blower type fan running WOT directed at the suspect components.

No I have not lowered it and tried running it. See no point until I get it all sorted out. It would have to be hard on the FNR, motor, rear etc. to slam this thing in gear the way it is.

Good questions.
And a very valid point. Any chance you can talk to the previous owner?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO