lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #101
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Testing an FSIP controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
There is no way the Reversing Contactor was closing if wired as You described, maybe you were hearing the Solenoid.

The Alltrax specs say the "Reverse sense pin current" is less than 0.02A (20mA) and that is nowhere near what that Contactor coil needs to operate.

We also verified the contactor was not closing by doing the continuity test from the disconnected B+ to the M- cables.
No, I could feel (by placing my hand on it) the Reversing Contactor clicking in forward and reverse and when I disconnected all cables and removed the Reversing Contactor from the cart and placed it by the new one; Each measured the same resistance on the same lugs with my DVM set to 200 ohms.

I didn't mention in my early post today; but I also checked all high current cable lugs and connections again (before finding the error in the wiring) last night and found a lug that wasn't crimped very well and easily pulled off the cable that was on the motor S2 stud. I made a new cable and replaced that one.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #102
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
No, I had it connected to the "BLUE- REVERSE" J1 pin.

I know that is what I said that pin has no way to activate the contactor.

As I have it now, nothing is connected to "BLUE - REVERSE" J1 pin, but in order to achieve half speed reverse or any control over reverse for that matter, I would need to connect the POS(+) spade of the Reversing Contactor to "BLUE - REVERSE" of J1, correct?
Correct.

Quote:
last night and found a lug that wasn't crimped very well and easily pulled off the cable that was on the motor S2 stud
That would also have prevented continuity.

If the Contactor was clicking the negative activation coils had to have another connection in addition to the one to BLUE -J1.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #103
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

The only other power I can think of is coming from the 3 position forward/reverse selector switch.

My middle connection is coming from the POS(+) small post on the solenoid and each outside connection is going to the forward and reverse POS(+) spades of the Reversing Contactor.

thumbnail.jpg

The black wire is the one that was on BLUE J1 pin but is now on B-.

Could this have powered the RC???
Old 06-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #104
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post

Could this have powered the RC???
No way, that Alltrax Blue J1 is an input not a driver and the RC would require 50 times the amount of current the Alltrax input pin can sink.

I could not see the band on the diode, double check they both have the stripe towards the positive activation wires (Blue and Yellow).
Old 06-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #105
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
I could not see the band on the diode, double check they both have the stripe towards the positive activation wires (Blue and Yellow).
Yes, they do. Haven't changed any connections in 3 years before this "no-go" issue.

20190621_134931.jpg

I'm wondering if I should put the FSIP controller back in the cart just to see if it runs??? If it does, I'll sell it.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #106
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe while testing, disconnecting all of the cables from the Controller (B+, M-) and removing the RC from the cart that wire accidentally got connected back to Blue - Rev, but it is just not possible for it to have worked that way.

Why was a 1/4" quick connector ever crimped at the end of that negative wire from the RC (where was that connection on the FSIP)?

If You have the time it is a good idea to test the FSIP controller, I think the stuck RC was the original issue you encountered.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #107
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Maybe while testing, disconnecting all of the cables from the Controller (B+, M-) and removing the RC from the cart that wire accidentally got connected back to Blue - Rev, but it is just not possible for it to have worked that way.

Why was a 1/4" quick connector ever crimped at the end of that negative wire from the RC (where was that connection on the FSIP)?

If You have the time it is a good idea to test the FSIP controller, I think the stuck RC was the original issue you encountered.
I cut the original ring terminal off after replacing the FSIP and installed the quick connector on it to wire it to J1 in total error.

When I seen in the wiring diagram for the Alltrax (using the "Generic Series w/ SW202" diagram), where the J1 "BLUE - Reverse" pin was connected to the Reversing Contactor and I ASSumed it was the NEG(-) spade of the Reversing Contator since that was the only connection I had left that didn't transfer directly from my FSIP to the new Alltrax controller. Hence the total mess we've been dealing with for a week now

It wasn't until I noticed the very small writing under the RC in the wiring diagram that showed "lower coil" was labeled "battery negative" and was connected to B- and the upper coil connected to J1.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #108
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Glad you are back up and running!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #109
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Just to close this thread out; I hooked the old FSIP controller back up and it ran fine. I then connected the old SW202 contactor back up and it ran fine also.

In the end, the bad connection at the S2 motor stud was the culprit. A very expensive overlook on my part.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #110
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

DOH!!!!

Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car