lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #1
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium upgrade with pics

Last fall I purchased an ‘06 Precedent. Mostly stock, just aftermarket wheels and tires with a rear facing seat. The lead acid didn’t last very long even though they were 2020s. So, the project began.
Wet sanded front cowl, restored the black trim pieces, installed the new style pedal group to fix non-working parking brake, reupholstered rear seat bottom, installed a random $20 all in one dashboard stereo from Amazon, and most recently installed a 60 amp hour BigBattery eagle lithium conversion. Stock motor and controller. I didn’t bypass anything. Dropped them in, wired them to the busbar, and installed voltage reducer. I haven’t reached my maximum range, but it’s easily over 25 miles. Hilly terrain with several passengers. I was accustomed to only a few miles, with steadily declining performance on the lead acid. I’m very pleased with the way everything turned out, especially big battery! All of my electronics are in the middle being a 2006, so the BigBattery eagles required almost no modification to the battery bucket. Thanks for all of the help, reading countless threads here allowed me to do it.
demarcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium upgrade with pics

Looks great!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:25 AM   #3
phins2rt
Gone Wild
Club Car

Good looking cart. I'm in the middle of an EB upgrade. Looking forward to the final results.
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:05 PM   #4
DouggieFressh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Curious about the charger. I was thinking about doing something similar, but I am worried about the charger shorting out since that compartment isn't waterproof.
DouggieFressh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #5
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

That is exactly why I posted... I was hoping someone would question something like that to hopefully help me learn. I watched a few folks do it this way... and honestly, I have been more worried about how hot it gets in there during charging. (Pretty hot.) There are very few holes in the battery bucket, and I believe the charger sits up on ridges... but I am not an expert at any of this. I could mount the charger on the side of the battery compartment I would guess, like I did for the busbar and voltage reducer, to prevent standing water I guess. Or, I could take the entire thing out and just leave in the garage.
Open to thoughts/suggestions (on charger and everything else).
Thanks!
demarcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:55 AM   #6
DouggieFressh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by demarcor View Post
Open to thoughts/suggestions (on charger and everything else).
Thanks!
I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me weigh in. But, I will say that I've seen other people do it to and haven't seen anyone warn not to do it... Yet. lol. I would like to do the same as you did as that just seems so much more convenient, but I'm worried about water... and now heat... lol

My current thinking is to keep the charger in my garage and just swap the Anderson connectors for an EZGO receptacle.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:16 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just reading your post and I'm perplexed by a few things:

1--Why do you feel the need to have the batteries inside of a waterproof or mostly waterproof box? (If I'm reading that right.....my 'puter is giving me fits trying to open your posted pics)

2--When you say "hot" during charging....how hot is hot? Do you have a temp gauge on the battery? (I know my Leaf pack gets 2-3 degrees hotter during charging but I don't consider that hot)

3--How many amps is your charger? My on board charger is 15 amps and I never worry about it being in a water tight enclosure. Just under the seat works well....and believe me I've hunted on days when the rain was pouring in buckets with no issues of any electrical malfunction.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:32 AM   #8
jws2010CC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey there! I love seeing these Precedent lithium upgrades. Your cart looks great!

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=185635

Here is what I did on my 2010. I know we have a major design difference with electronics, but I would suggest trying to mount your charger to rear side of the bucket, somewhere up off the floor. It is not necessary, however you could also (with some modifications of course) run your cables underneath the plastic housing.

I understand the concern with heat while charging your cart with an on-board charger. I don't think it is necessary, but I have been using a bungie cord from the steering wheel to the seat to prop it up during these HOT southern summer nights.

Different battery makes, but Cory at Palmetto Battery Pros has some great YT videos. Check these out for some wiring ideas on your style Precedent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-YQMgbcjcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bruFF4Pej5k
jws2010CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #9
DouggieFressh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
1--Why do you feel the need to have the batteries inside of a waterproof or mostly waterproof box? (If I'm reading that right.....my 'puter is giving me fits trying to open your posted pics)
I was concerned about water. I love the idea of an onboard charger set up as he has, but I was curious about water intrusion damaging the charger. Your post does make me feel better though and I might just pull the trigger on it.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouggieFressh View Post
I was concerned about water. I love the idea of an onboard charger set up as he has, but I was curious about water intrusion damaging the charger. Your post does make me feel better though and I might just pull the trigger on it.
My OBC just kind of "hangs out" under the seat. The seat, plus the roof has proven that water invasion is pretty much minimal. And you should see the streams I forge to get to fishing spots. Nothing higher than the floor board.....but really close.

Plus, when you charge, you should be able to tell if it's dry under your seat. If you do primarily road\dirt road driving, water would be a minimal likely issue.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car