lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Haunted 1992 Marathon WOT

Hello EZ GO folks. New to me 1992 (K1392 is this 1992?) 36v EZ GO.

A no-go when I got it a couple days ago. Installed: Good/charged batteries. Replaced bad solenoid. Replaced bad key switch.

With FNR in F or R, key on, cart takes off in what seems like WOT. Return to N or turning key off stops motor. Yes it is jacked up off floor.

My thoughts/questions: 1) MS at throttle is either bad or out of adjustment. Should be easy fix either way.

2) Throttle stuck WOT? Throttle mechanism from pedal to throttle box (pot?) is moving freely. Can the pot be stuck inside?

All thoughts and help greatly appreciated.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Haunted 1992 Marathon WOT

1. You've got that nailed down pretty well. Adjustment or replacement

2. Pop the black and white wires off the controller and Ohm between the loose wires. Ought to be about 0Ω with pedal up and about 5000Ω with pedal down.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Reread your pot question, yes the pot shaft could be slipping in the level arm and the pot itself could be broke.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I had a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) event on my 1998 Cushman Hawk which I concluded "was almost certainly caused by water entry into the controller". My WOT event was very similar to yours so water causing shorting in either the electrical connections or in the controller is another possible cause. I have a fairly detailed description of my troubleshooting steps in a thread that I created, which may be helpful for you to analyse you problem.

See: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-throttle.html

1) Micro Switch (MS) at throttle - this switch is either on or off and does not control speed so I believe it will not be a factor in your WOT problem.

2) Trottle Stuck WOT - could be a possible cause. Check it out electronically ... not sure if yours runs by voltage or resistance.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. You've got that nailed down pretty well. Adjustment or replacement

2. Pop the black and white wires off the controller and Ohm between the loose wires. Ought to be about 0Ω with pedal up and about 5000Ω with pedal down.
1)

2) That was the next thing I was going to ask about.

However, I think even that would give a false reading right now. While comparing to my other (identical except a 1994 model) one of these, and drive system pulled from a junk cart, the short linkage to the throttle on this one is showing about 2" of threads while the others show only about 1'. It seems as though somebody adjusted this at some point trying to get the throttle arm to raise high enough to touch the throttle MS as it should. And in doing so has thrown the whole thing out of adjustment when the real problem was the rod from the go pedal out.

So JB could you tell me what to have where doing the 0-5k test? Key, FNR, etc.

Thank you JohnnieB!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Don't know if you can tell in these photos but there is a big difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190610_163355995.jpg (300.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190610_163339211.jpg (417.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Throttle tests on 20k scale from about .02 to exactly 5.88.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Throttle tests on 20k scale from about .02 to exactly 5.88.
So 20 ohms to 5.88k ohms? That's a little high, but you can probably limit how far it rotates just a tad.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
So 20 ohms to 5.88k ohms? That's a little high, but you can probably limit how far it rotates just a tad.
Yeah maybe a little. Now if I knew why it goes to WOT without touching the pedal. The only other thing I can think of is I did rinse out the battery compartment before I put the batteries in it. Are these things that sensitive to water? Never had a problem (from water) like this with a Club Car. And that rinse was 2 days ago.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Yeah maybe a little. Now if I knew why it goes to WOT without touching the pedal. The only other thing I can think of is I did rinse out the battery compartment before I put the batteries in it. Are these things that sensitive to water? Never had a problem (from water) like this with a Club Car. And that rinse was 2 days ago.
It's measuring almost correct, and as you pointed out .02k = 20 ohms, so water isn't affecting that. Is there any wiring between where you measured the resistance and where it goes to the controller?

If the controller got wet, maybe it can dry out? Did you hit it with a leaf blower or ShopVac with hose on the "blow" side?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO