lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 2002 DS Charging way to long

Hi All,
Pretty new to golf carts so please excuse the greenness. I bought a 2002 Club Car DS series cart from a buddy of mine for $500 with a Powerdrive 2 charger but without batteries. He told me to be careful that it had been boiling over the batteries when charging. So I purchased some batteries from my local Sam's Club and also installed new 4awg battery cables. I did some searching of this forum and since it has been without power for so long I'm guessing the OBC was reset. I plugged the charger in and there was the expected delay before the charger came on then about 2 to 5 minutes later it shut off for a second and resumed charging. My question is how long should the charger run before shutting off? I have read that it should time out at 16 hours. But the past 3 charges have been almost 24 hours but never shut off. No boil overs as of yet and the pack has been getting up to a little over 65v when I unplug the charger and after 12 hours is around 50.9 - 51.6. I don't think that long of a charge is normal. Any suggestions as to what may be the problem or if there is one? Sorry for the long rant.
Allmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 DS Charging way to long

That's strange that it's doing that. When the charger comes on does the ammeter needle should jump up to near the top of the gauge? It should come back down over the course of a few hours as it charges. It should finish at less than 5amps.

The Off/on just after it starts charging is supposed to check the pack and help the OBC determine the state of charge. This says the OBC is working to some degree, but it should time out around 16 hours regardless of charge level. With brand new batteries a full charge should be finished in only 4-6 ours.

How is the pack negative cable routed?
The negative cable from the main pack negative to the controller B- terminal is supposed to run through the hole in the center of the OBC. If it is not, the OBC can't measure current and may continue to charge.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

There is a problem with your OBC. Brand new batteries will often go 16 hours and trip the time limit as they have not had a full charge, but if it does not cut off, there is definitely an issue.

If you check it with your volt meter, see where the charge is after several hours. Inherently the DC amps will drop because you are fully charged, but when you see ~62-63 volts and low amps for a sustained amount of time, you need to unplug it from the wall as it is not working correctly as proven by it not timing out.

If it has failed, which it appears yours has, you do not want to use it for long as it is not properly use the charge algorithm and can damage your pack over time.

Time to look at another OBC (some get sold here in the Sale section) or better to completely bypass it start using a new smart or high frequency charger. (Summit II, Delta-Q, DPI, Yewey)

PS- One last test you can do is the cart should not move (activate the solenoid) while charging.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the response guys. Yeah I kind of thought something was not right. When I checked the charger before I went to work yesterday it was hovering at about 4 amps and still had about an hour or so before hitting the 16 hour mark and when I checked it after work it was still at 4 amps. That is when I unplugged it and knew there was something wrong. I really was hoping not to have to spend more money. I just ordered a speed and torque upgrade kit from BU a couple of days ago and that really took a big chunk out of my budget. I will try the drive while charging test and see what that does. But from what you have said I'm probably looking at a new charger and bypassing the OBC.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

You didn’t talk to Scotty at cartsunlimited.net? Hope BU is good for you... they haven’t been for many of us[emoji52]
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmanac View Post
-snip-
I just ordered a speed and torque upgrade kit from BU a couple of days ago and that really took a big chunk out of my budget.
Please tell me that was a typo.... Cause if that were true, you did spend a big chunk and could have saved with the great suppliers here. I mean these guys are all Guru's and offer you the 1on1 treatment to get you what you need, when you need it, and save you the most they can.....
Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

I'm sorry guys. I didn't think to look here. The order is still processing. Does Cartsunlimited or any of the other sponsors offer financing? That was the main reason why I used BU because I can finance large orders like the speed and torque upgrade. That's about the only way I can really do things more quickly and not put myself in a bind. If any of the sponsors here offer that I will cancel the order and go with one of them instead. That way I can pick and choose the upgrades.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

I tried to run the cart with the charger on and it did not move in forward or reverse. So does that mean the OBC is good or might it still be bad causing the charger to not shut off properly?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
I'm sorry guys. I didn't think to look here. The order is still processing. Does Cartsunlimited or any of the other sponsors offer financing? That was the main reason why I used BU because I can finance large orders like the speed and torque upgrade. That's about the only way I can really do things more quickly and not put myself in a bind. If any of the sponsors here offer that I will cancel the order and go with one of them instead. That way I can pick and choose the upgrades.
I do not know that any of them offer that. You can sure call them and inquire. David Hicks - Revolution Golf Cars can tell you what they can or can not do. Call the # here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/contact

Quote:
I tried to run the cart with the charger on and it did not move in forward or reverse. So does that mean the OBC is good or might it still be bad causing the charger to not shut off properly?
No, it only means that circuit is still active. If the charger is not cutting off, there is an issue in the OBC itself. (We know the relay is not stuck as you get the delay when plugging it in and the cycle on/off there after)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info. I will try to give David a call sometime today and inquire. If not I guess all I can say is wish me luck with BU. I didn't realize people were having issues with them but of course I'm still very new and do not know the in's and out's yet. Regardless of how this plays out I will most likely be reaching out when it comes time to install all the upgrade components as I'm pretty sure I will get confused somewhere along the line.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car