lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
1970buick
Gone Wild

Default Ausco disc brake install Precedent Club Car

After adding a lot of weight to my Precedent and driving it around all last summer I noticed that the brakes could use a little attention. I decided on Ausco disc brakes. These are for the rear and are mechanical using you stock cables. I couldn't find a complete install thread so I am adding this one to help those thinking of doing the same. Pictures included. If you are unfamiliar with some simple tools and how to do things safely, then you should not attempt. The kit is becoming much more affordable and I believe I paid $235 for mine on sale. Google the kit and find the best price for yourself.
1970buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
1970buick
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ausco disc brake install Precedent Club Car

First remove the driver's side wheel (must be 10" or more to use kit).
Of course you need to jack the rear up and use jack stands for safety.
Remove the brake drum. It should slide right off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (130.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
1970buick
Gone Wild

You will need to look through the little hole on the hub and you will see a c-clip with 2 little holes. You are instructed to use a 90 degree set of inner snap ring pliers. I did not have those and would not let that stop me. I took a set of slim needle nose pliers and bent the tips in a bit and they worked like a charm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (56.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.jpg (70.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
1970buick
Gone Wild

Once the internal retaining ring is free then the axle will slide right out. Some fluid will also leak out so use a pan to catch it. Keep the part out of the way and CLEAN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (133.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
1970buick
Gone Wild

Next it is time to remove the brake cable from the assembly. Take the cotter pin and clevis pin out and SAVE. The tricky part is releasing the brake cable from the brake cable bracket. Most folks would instruct you to purchase a Club Car brake release tool which is good. I do not have one and did not want to buy one. I used an open ended 1/2" wrench and put it on the cable retaining piece that holds it to the brake cable bracket. Snug it on more with a few taps with a blunt object and it compresses and pops right out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (115.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (158.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (140.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
1970buick
Gone Wild

There are four bolts (1/2") that hold the brake assembly on. Remove them and SAVE. Remove the assembly. The pictures below show the bare axle tube and the parts you should have accumulated by now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (134.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (144.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Great Instrutional 1970 Buick. Definitely sticky worthy! I am upgrading my motor this fall to go around 30mph and figured I would do this rear brake mod at the same time. I’ve changed brakes/hubs on cars before but never messed with removing any sort of axle.
Does the axle come all the way out of the housing? And Does that give easier acces to change the axle bearings at the same time?
Is there any other preventative maint that could be done at the same time?
Does adding disc brakes reduce the width of the axle/wheels/tires?
And will this be sufficient stopping power for a cart that goes 30mph? I was looking into doing front disc, but it does not appear I can do that with my 3” allsports lift. And there don’t seem to be any other front disc options unless you buy certain lift kits?
Thanks
beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:01 AM   #8
sminsc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good series,thanks for posting. Those brakes look like the ones used on old Cub Cadet garden tractors,only the ones on the Cubs were larger.
sminsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:53 PM   #9
JackL1956
Not Yet Wild

Living on a mountain road, the garbage trucks cannot make it up to my house; they have no place to turn around. Since i needed a way to transport my cans up and down the mountain, i bought a Club Car Precedent to do the job.

Considering mountain roads, and pulling trash cans, i decided a disc brake upgrade made great sense. so i just installed the Ausco kit. i definitely needed the added stopping power. Golf Cart.jpeg
JackL1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:01 PM   #10
KartMan154
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackL1956 View Post
Living on a mountain road, the garbage trucks cannot make it up to my house; they have no place to turn around. Since i needed a way to transport my cans up and down the mountain, i bought a Club Car Precedent to do the job.

Considering mountain roads, and pulling trash cans, i decided a disc brake upgrade made great sense. so i just installed the Ausco kit. i definitely needed the added stopping power. Attachment 235948
Tesla Logo on a Club Car!
KartMan154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car