lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2024, 03:27 PM   #1
kgarvey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Gradual Power Loss

Issue has gradually become worse. The cart wants to slow down while moving along the street. It gets up to its 26mph, then slows to 21mph or less for half a minute or so, then speeds up again, then slows again for a bit. A few times when starting the cart after it being parked, I put it in reverse, step on the accelerator, and nothing happens. Release the pedal and step again, and it comes to life. This has been going on for 6 months now. The other day, after driving to the golf course (~ 1 mile), when it stopped it would not start again. One hour later, it started and worked well enough to get me home.

The system is a '96 Club Car DS upgraded to an IQ with an Alltrax controller and the FSI motor. Upgrade done in Jan '21 and cart has run very well since then. In order or importance, I suspect
1. The MCOR4
2. The speed controller on the motor (speed controller test indicates speed controller is working, but not sure how well.)
3. Loose, frayed, or dirt-packed wiring somewhere in the system

From these symptoms, what would you think I should look at first and how would you go about testing?
Thanks!
kgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2024, 07:10 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Gradual Power Loss

Probably an MCOR issue. Download the Alltrax toolkit and plug a laptop into the controller while driving. Watch the throttle percentage on the computer screen and see if it's fluctuating up and down while you drive. If you're holding the pedal on the floor but the throttle percentage is surging, replace the MCOR.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:53 PM   #3
kgarvey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I replaced the MCOR4 and logged a monitoring session through the Alltrax XCT. Basically, I'm getting 49v from batteries, only 24v at motor. What's spooky (and dangerous), I can push the cart a bit holding down the accelerator with my hand and the motor will kick in, then quit (well, it quits because I let go of the accelerator pedal.) It's a situation that's similar to a loose connection. However, I double checked all four wires on the motor and back to their respective sources. Everything is clean and tight. The motor is an FSIP 221-48vSPEEDCC that is two years old. The cart has been used 3 times a week for 18 holes of golf, plus driving to and from the course, just under 1 mile. The only component I haven't checked is the speed control. I did a quick, down-and-dirty speed control check (as in the sticky note in this forum) and it appears to be working right. I don't understand why the motor would kick in and run once the cart has been manually pushed, but then quit and not start again from a static stop.
Any ideas?
kgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarvey View Post
I replaced the MCOR4 and logged a monitoring session through the Alltrax XCT. Basically, I'm getting 49v from batteries, only 24v at motor. What's spooky (and dangerous), I can push the cart a bit holding down the accelerator with my hand and the motor will kick in, then quit (well, it quits because I let go of the accelerator pedal.) It's a situation that's similar to a loose connection. However, I double checked all four wires on the motor and back to their respective sources. Everything is clean and tight. The motor is an FSIP 221-48vSPEEDCC that is two years old. The cart has been used 3 times a week for 18 holes of golf, plus driving to and from the course, just under 1 mile. The only component I haven't checked is the speed control. I did a quick, down-and-dirty speed control check (as in the sticky note in this forum) and it appears to be working right. I don't understand why the motor would kick in and run once the cart has been manually pushed, but then quit and not start again from a static stop.
Any ideas?
Sounds like either bad motor brushes or a bad connection between the brushes and the motor armature. Can you disassemble the motor and inspect the brushes to see if that's your issue? You can also do a simple continuity test to see if the motor gets a good clean signal throughout it's entire rotation.

Motor Continuity Testing
This process applies for all series and sepex DC motors for electric golf cars.

Set your meter to the diode test / continuity setting. The symbol on your meter will look something like this - ->I--
When your meter is set to this setting it should show approximately 000 on the screen when you touch the two leads together, indicating zero resistance (perfect continuity). Most meters also emit a beep to indicate continuity as well.

If equipped with a tow/run switch, flip switch into tow mode. Disconnect the main positive and the main negative battery cables from the battery pack to remove power from the entire system. Disconnect the wire from either the A1 or A2 terminals of the motor. Disconnect the wire from the F1 (S1) or F2 (S2) terminal of the motor. Using a floor jack, lift one tire in the air while leaving the other one on the ground.

Check for continuity between A1 and A2. Your meter should show continuity here. Have an assistant slowly rotate the tire that is off the ground while checking continuity. This will rotate the motor. If continuity becomes erratic and gives poor readings throughout the rotation of the motor, you have an issue with the motor brushes.
Check for continuity between F1 (S1) and F2 (S2). Your meter should show continuity here
Check for continuity between all four terminals individually. Place one lead on the terminal that you are testing and place the other lead on the case of the motor to ensure that there is not an internal short. You should not get continuity here. If you show any reading at all, you have a short in your motor. Your meter should not respond to this test at all.
Check for continuity between either "A" terminal and either F (S) terminal. You should NOT get continuity here. If you do, you have a shorted motor.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:52 AM   #5
RikFrazier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarvey View Post
Issue has gradually become worse. The cart wants to slow down while moving along the street. It gets up to its 26mph, then slows to 21mph or less for half a minute or so, then speeds up again, then slows again for a bit. A few times when starting the cart after it being parked, I put it in reverse, step on the accelerator, and nothing happens. Release the pedal and step again, and it comes to life. This has been going on for 6 months now. The other day, after driving to the golf course (~ 1 mile), when it stopped it would not start again. One hour later, it started and worked well enough to get me home.

The system is a '96 Club Car DS upgraded to an IQ with an Alltrax controller and the FSI motor. Upgrade done in Jan '21 and cart has run very well since then. In order or importance, I suspect
1. The MCOR4
2. The speed controller on the motor (speed controller test indicates speed controller is working, but not sure how well.)
3. Loose, frayed, or dirt-packed wiring somewhere in the system

From these symptoms, what would you think I should look at first and how would you go about testing?
Thanks!
Your symptoms sound very close to symptoms I posted about back in December. Power loss but I could roll cart and regain power. I have decided on motor issues. Iím currently in the process of removing my motor. I plan on sending it to PQ for a rebuild. Ultimately I want to buy a package from David at Revolution (new motor, controller, wiring). I havenít done any of the tests mentioned above but may just for confirmation
RikFrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:57 AM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikFrazier View Post
Your symptoms sound very close to symptoms I posted about back in December. Power loss but I could roll cart and regain power. I have decided on motor issues. Iím currently in the process of removing my motor. I plan on sending it to PQ for a rebuild. Ultimately I want to buy a package from David at Revolution (new motor, controller, wiring). I havenít done any of the tests mentioned above but may just for confirmation
Let me know if I can help you with any of this. I'd love to have your business, sir.

Tags
mcor, power loss, speed sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car