lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: PDS won't climb driveway hill

Yeah, drive it around, then touch the cables, solenoid, ect, check for heat. Anything you cant hold your hand on comfortably probably needs replaced. If this is the root of your problem, you will find a part that is "blazing hot".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
Perryb
Not Yet Wild

Drove it for about three minutes. Came home, cart wouldn't make it up driveway. Cables cool to touch. Controller cool. Solenoid feels very slightly warm. Controller and solenoid were replaced so I don't think they're the problem. It it worth mentioning that after driving it for three minutes (on a full charge) it takes four hours to top it off again? Is that normal?
Perryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

4 hours is normal anytime you plug the charger in. I assume you have already put a meter on the batteries and verified the pack voltage is not dropping below 34v or so when the cart tries but can not climb the drive way?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
Perryb
Not Yet Wild

I haven't load tested the bats but the place from where i bought them did. Said they were good. I don't know the volts/results from their test. The bats are fifteen months old with less than five hrs run time in them. Well maintained. Could it be anything other than the batteries?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Go buy a cheap multi-meter. It will serve you well...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb View Post
I haven't load tested the bats but the place from where i bought them did. Said they were good. I don't know the volts/results from their test. The bats are fifteen months old with less than five hrs run time in them. Well maintained. Could it be anything other than the batteries?
Yes, being something other than batteries specifically is within the realms of possibility, but based on the information provided, it is a battery related issue.

In a nutshell, the cart can no longer climb the same incline it used to climb, so either the drag has increased or the applied energy has decreased.

The battery pack is the energy source, so it is the most likely suspect.

The second most likely suspect is the energy deliver system/ (High current cables/connections, solenoid and controller)

The third most likely is the motor.

The list goes on with lesser likely suspects.

-----------
The batteries themselves may be okay, but not being fully charged and/or no longer have the storage capacity needed to climb the incline.

Contrary to the comment from the cart tech or battery vendor, 15 month old batteries simply cannot be "as good as new" since batteries age (have less storage capacity) with each discharge/recharge cycle.

Also, batteries effectively have less storage capacity when they are cold and it has gotten colder recently.

---------------
Nothing appears to be waving a red flag and saying "I'm the problem", so you'll have to start eliminating what is working correctly.

Personally, I have some concerns about the charge time, so that is where I'd start the process of elimination.

Buy a DVM, it doesn't have to be an expensive one. The ones sold in blister packs in auto parts stores or discount stores are adequate.

Measure the pack voltage and the individual battery voltages about 12 hours after the charger turns off automatically.
The 36V pack should read 38.2V, each 6+V battery should read 6.37V and each of the six should be withing 0.1V of the others.

If not, it may be the charger or the batteries.

BTW: What Make/Model batteries and what Make/Model charger?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
Perryb
Not Yet Wild

US 2200XC bats; Power Wise charger. Don't know if it's worth mentioning but the cart hesitates a split second before taking off when applying the accelerator. Whole thing is just weird. One month ago, I carried four adults and two small kids up a long hill. Now, can't even get just myself halfway up that same hill. Thanks guys. Ya'll are the best!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You may not be getting full throttle.... that could be the problem. (very likely if the batts are indeed good)

Either way somebody is going to have to get a decent Digital multimeter and some alligator clips to start testing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb View Post
US 2200XC bats; Power Wise charger. Don't know if it's worth mentioning but the cart hesitates a split second before taking off when applying the accelerator. Whole thing is just weird. One month ago, I carried four adults and two small kids up a long hill. Now, can't even get just myself halfway up that same hill. Thanks guys. Ya'll are the best!
Your batteries have been chronically undercharged.
US Battery batteries require a higher finish voltage that the Powerwise charger can provide.

The voltages I listed were for Trojan batteries (de facto standard)
US Battery pack voltage after 12 hours rest ought to be 36.5V and each battery 6.41V. (SoC vs Voltage chart attached)

With proper charging, the batteries may recover to approximately the AH capacity a well maintained 15 month old US 2200 XC should have.
Tech bulletin stating undercharging issue and Charging instructions attached in PDF files)

A battery charger with a US Battery charging profile is needed.
The DPI Accusense is the best bang for the buck (User selectable charge profiles and goes into float chharge after regular charge cycle ends.)
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

----------------
The hesitation could be a couple things.
1. Pedal microswitch is gummed up. (A itsy-bitsy spring is what closes the contacts and a little debris is all it takes to slow it down.)
2. Dirty (corroded) contacts in the in-line connector that connects the cable from the pedal box to the wiring harness, can effect the ITS (throttle) signal to the controller.

Also, check for worn through insulation on F1 & F2 cables where they are routed around the battery frame. (Attached picture)

------------
Basically, there appears to be more than one problem and there are more than one possibility for each, so it is a process of elimination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USBatterySOCtable.jpg (107.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Technical_Service_Bulletin_09_04_2012.pdf (243.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf charging_instruction_2011_2-1.pdf (1.35 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
Perryb
Not Yet Wild

Johnnie B, can't thank you enough. That's a lot to digest but makes sense. What are your thoughts as to why the cart previously performed fine with this charger? Cooler temps now? Batteries now have some age on them and normal wear combined with under charging finally caught up?

Tags
no torque, power loss, won't climb hill
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO