lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
BigEd358
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Question Roll-Cage & Tube Bending Ideas

Hey All, I'm looking to fab a Roll-Cage/Roof Structure for my '79 G1. I was wondering what type of tubing you have used and how did you bend it? I've heard of some using the affordable Metal Electrical Conduit and a hand Conduit bender. Not sure I want to go that way. The tube is a bit heavy and I'm not thrilled with stripping and welding galvanized pipe.

Thanks for your help! Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-08_16-00-06_566.jpg (295.8 KB, 0 views)
BigEd358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: Roll-Cage & Tube Bending Ideas

That type of tubing is lighter than anything else of equal size.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Conduit is good for electric-wiring,not a brush-guard/roll-cage.Its' very thin,soft,and cracks/splits easily due to the galvanizing(it makes it brittle).When you see Benders labled "Pipe-Bender",or "Tubing-Bender",the difference is in the sizing of the dies.Pipe is measured I.D.(inside-diameter).Tubing is measured O.D.(outside-diameter).If you try to bend 1" tubing in a 1"-pipe die,it will flatten and kink.If you buy a low-buck bender such as one from Harbor-Freight,order some Schedule-40 pipe from a steel-supplier.Its' as close to tubing as you can get in pipe.Welding Galvanized isn't any different from welding steel,but the Toxic-Fumes will get you.We had Air-Pack Helmets at the shop I worked at,just for that reason.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Conduit is good for electric-wiring,not a brush-guard/roll-cage.Its' very thin,soft,and cracks/splits easily due to the galvanizing(it makes it brittle).When you see Benders labled "Pipe-Bender",or "Tubing-Bender",the difference is in the sizing of the dies.Pipe is measured I.D.(inside-diameter).Tubing is measured O.D.(outside-diameter).If you try to bend 1" tubing in a 1"-pipe die,it will flatten and kink.If you buy a low-buck bender such as one from Harbor-Freight,order some Schedule-40 pipe from a steel-supplier.Its' as close to tubing as you can get in pipe.Welding Galvanized isn't any different from welding steel,but the Toxic-Fumes will get you.We had Air-Pack Helmets at the shop I worked at,just for that reason.Hope this helps.
Great info! Bookmarked!!!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd358 View Post
Hey All, I'm looking to fab a Roll-Cage/Roof Structure for my '79 G1. I was wondering what type of tubing you have used and how did you bend it? I've heard of some using the affordable Metal Electrical Conduit and a hand Conduit bender. Not sure I want to go that way. The tube is a bit heavy and I'm not thrilled with stripping and welding galvanized pipe.

Thanks for your help! Ed
How far are you willing to go Ed? I agree with the others in regards to strength and the health issues.

If I were you, I'ld bring my plans to a shop that can do it. You just have to have all your dimensions correctly measured. I'm sure we can help making sure you get the right dimensions.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

for yrs ive drank milk after welding galvanized stuff all day and it def helps me,,not that its helping my insides but they gotta rot of something

i wanna go with a style similar to some of the razor rhinos i see with the angle forward and maybe go with out riggers on the frame to tie in the cage to actually work a lil better than a "cage look" but that could be a while..bring the hydraulic bender and i can hook us both up
ive got a harbor freight orange bender with the jack in the center and its not worth my time to use it for bending pipe imho..ive had to fill the pipe with wet sand and spend hrs just to get a fair bend..not for me..wish we could all afford a hydraulic bender
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The JD2 Model 2 or 3 manual benders,and others like it work great.I know plenty of guys who use them for cages,etc..on race-cars,even with Chrome-Moly tubing.You can get a whole setup with a few different dies under $1000 new.The ones from WoodWard Fab are similar,but way overpriced.Yup,Been there with the Milk-Trick,but Galvanizing is Toxic,It will mess you up,Bad!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

30 yrs ago i worked cross the street from the "jd sqaure" building where he just started out making them, and bead rollers..smart fella...dont no if he sold it or is still the person in charge..i belive they are still in ocala fl but could be wrong..id love to have one someday..even if i have to put a 12ft cheater pipe on the handle is better than nothing..with the price of a roll cage nowadays we should all just buy a good bender and it will pay itself off the first good use
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

You can convert them to Hydraulic,using a 10-ton Ram Porta-Power really easy,Harbor Freight has the Porta-Kit for $130.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
macrain13
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Isn't the schedule-40 stuff mentioned above used for gas pipes and so forth. I would imagine that stuff would be a lot thicker than typical round tubing used for roll cages. I've been looking into this as well, but don't necessarily want to get into that large investment for a quality bender. I've read too many negative about welding galvanized so its not worth the possible health risk. Also the so-called trick of makin partial cuts in tube, then bending and welding would create vulnerable spots in the cage.

Again I'm looking more to build a cage or actually a upper brush guard to keep limbs and brush off on me but will also have a more aggressive looking style like a RZR or even the newer BBBuggies. As heavy as the lower half of the cart is, with all the batteries, the worst I would do is lay it over on its side, so really beefing up a roll cage would be overkill. At least for what I'm looking for.
macrain13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center