lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
mattydub37
Not Yet Wild

Default What would you do?

I have a non-pds ezgo that is pretty much stock. I have replaced the controller last year after it blew up when I pushed the cart too hard...I think the kids just blew it again and I need to replace the controller or solenoid BUT before I do that again....

My family drives it, flat ground, kids like to use it. Long runs of 2miles or more not uncommon, want to add rear seat soon.

So my question is:

What, in order of priority, should I be looking to upgrade to get this cart drivable without always blowing something?

2g cables?
New batteries?
Solenoid or different controller that will allow a more constant ride than "golf style"?
Wheel kit lift?
HD springs?

Thank you so much for your recommendations and help! I would like to use sponsors of this site for parts so direct links are awesome too!
mattydub37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What would you do?

What year?
How old are the batteries?
What do you expect from the cart when done? Mine will run 8-10 miles with out issues....full throttle or creeping makes a difference on the type of cart...Series is best for slow and torque.

Cables are a real good upgrade.
Batteries only if you need them.
Controller and solenoid.....you should sort out why they blow up before replacing another one.
If you do wheels and lift, that will mean an upgraded motor and controller most likely.
Springs if the cart is loaded heavy or rough trails
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Typical problems for a stock cart used for recreation. The stock electronics are 'golf duty'. You need a bigger aftermarket controller and solenoid. Larger cables. And a HD F&R switch to handle the increased workloads.

You can do some reading and pricing here > http://cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure what: "that will allow a more constant ride than "golf style"?" means.
Do you want more speed, more torque or both?
Do you want to carry more weight or a more comfortable ride.
Do you want more ground clearance or more stability?

You can get more speed by increasing the tire diameter, but doing so decreases the torque.
Same with changing to a high speed differential gear ratio.

Torque is increased by increasing the Amps the motor can draw.
Motor current passes through batteries, controller, solenoid, F/R switch and all cables, so the all have to be upgraded to handle it.

Speed and Torque can be increased by going from 36V to 48V, but run-time won't be as long if you opt for six 8V batteries rather than eight 6V.

Figure out what you want for the end results and build towards it.

Sounds like you are about to replace the controller and solenoid out of necessity.
They should be a compatible pair, check these kits out. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

If you can't do the cables (all 13 of them) and the F/R at the same time, get a programmable controller and dial it back until you can upgrade the rest of the system to handle the Amps.

There are controller that will run at 36V and 48V, so if 48V is in the future, get one of those. (The solenoid will probably have to be changed to one with a higher voltage coil)

Hope this helps more than confuses.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
mattydub37
Not Yet Wild

Thanks gents!!!!!

Im def going to e contacting you scottyB! I need a solenoid and controller....mothers day sale??

Okay...great tips thus far....so heres what im thinking i want to build towards in the future....im thinking I want the cart to be capable of carrying 4 adults with frosty beverages along a creek trail for 2 miles - speed is not essential, but comfort and dependability ARE. Torque not a big deal as kids will be driving and I don't want that "3yo got thrown off the back" effect. I'd like to upgrade tires/lift so I can use it as a hunting buggy - but nothing crazy, just a quick jaunt tot the tree stand in silence. Again, it's recreational around the house for the kids and a safer grown up drive than the ate when we've been drinking.

Batteries I'm not sure of age yet, I'll check everything and post better stats later. For now was just curious what you guys would add/upgrade first in planning for the future....

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We have been using a 500a programmable controller and 200a HD solenoid. It meets the needs of most all of the mixed duty carts like yours.
When coupled with the Superduty solenoid it can run on 36 or 48v with just a resistor change out. It's mild enough for everyday use and big enough for that aftermarket motor later... Sounds to me like staying with 36v might be your best bet, just because of the kids driving it though... 400a and 36v will be okay too if the tires are not too tall and the hills are not too steep.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
mattydub37
Not Yet Wild

Awesome, thanks scottyB....am I okay with the setup you mention if the kids drive slow, creeping along the trail?

I'mouring through your sites info now....thank you! Will be in touch for some parts
Old 07-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
mattydub37
Not Yet Wild

ARGHHHH!!! I'm lost fellas...I replaced all the wiring from ScottyB's kit. Got new controller, new solenoid, new batt cables, installed everything and the car won't move? I get reverse beep, but no movement. Batterys show full charge...The controller led light blinks Greene four times saying its good to go....but I'm LOST?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Does the solenoid click?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
mattydub37
Not Yet Wild

Yes the solenoid clicks. Not sure if I wired that right though...the two reds go to the same (pos) terminal coming off the controller and the two blacks go to the other side right?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO