lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
jonequest
Gone Wild

Default Brake drums warped??

I can hear my brakes dragging a bit so I jacked up the cart removed both rear drums and the pads look fine but there is a noticable drag during about 15-20% of the rotation on both sides. I can turn it by hand and it is easy, easy, easy, easy, then it stiffens up for a while then gets easy again. I don't SEE any uneven wear on the drums that would indicate a high spot but something is up. It does this on both sides and it seems like the drums are warped just about identically on both sides. Do drums really get that out of round?
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brake drums warped??

I did a complete brake replacement this summer. New shoes and drums. After a couple weeks of driving around I noticed some brake drag also. It was very subtle but definitely dragging. With wheels off I had the same experience as you when turning the drums by hand. I baked off the shoes with the star wheel on both sides a little bit until the drag was almost gone. Has been fine ever since.
I didn't have to readjust at the peddle.

This was my experience. I am not a tech.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I did a complete brake replacement this summer. New shoes and drums. After a couple weeks of driving around I noticed some brake drag also. It was very subtle but definitely dragging. With wheels off I had the same experience as you when turning the drums by hand. I baked off the shoes with the star wheel on both sides a little bit until the drag was almost gone. Has been fine ever since.
I didn't have to readjust at the peddle.

This was my experience. I am not a tech.
Oh so they don't auto adjust tight again?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No, they have been fine. In fact, I have owned this cart since new and the brakes are as good now as they have ever been.

There is a lot of info on this forum about brake service and adjustment. After installing new shoes, the advice was to adjust them out until they were just rubbing on the drums while turning them by hand and then finish by adjusting the pedal so the brakes engaged at about 1 inch of pedal travel. At that time the friction with the drums was symmetric. Now, either I had them too tight to begin with or they tightened up after driving for awhile. I was surprised when I took the wheels back off to find the same asymmetric rubbing as you did but after readjusting they have been fine for about 3 months now. I have good pedal feel and no hint of jerkiness or surging with brake pressure.
So far all the squeaks are gone also which has been a big problem for me.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All the carts I work on drag at one point of each revolution... all the cars with drum brakes I worked on did the same thing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
All the carts I work on drag at one point of each revolution... all the cars with drum brakes I worked on did the same thing.
Thanks for the reassurance. It just felt felt weird to me but you have worked on enough to know if that is normal. I suspected it was OK since problems are generally not very simetrical and both sides felt the same. I now know a lot more about how everything fits/looks since I have it all apart the last couple of days checking stuff out and refilling my almost empty rear end with fluid. After working on real cars these things are actually "cute" with the little tiny axles, brakes, etc. Being able to just grab a rear end spline and just pull it out easy with one hand was kind of nice. I am just getting eveything checked out before my new 14" wheels arrive on Monday.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good idea, lots of carts running around with low differential oil levels out there....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Scotty,
I know this is an old thread but I have been searching "Brake grinding, brake dragging" etc..
I have been searching on how to fix this problem. It happened before I put the lift on my cart, and after. Grinding is just as described. I felt like both rear wheels drug about 1" about every half rotation. The hub would roll through the 1" spot, but it did have a slight increase of resistance over the grind spot. My brakes now work better than ever, but still with this described noise. I just want to verify that you would find this as "acceptable" before I stop searching for the "fix" to this problem.

My only concern is silence in the woods... does this continue to happen on new brake drums? If so I'm just going to leave it because my brakes work great now.
URBANNGUERILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I know it makes a different where you buy from. Cheap stuff on Ebay is Chinese crap and brakes literally. Spend the money and buy from reputible source.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerj7907 View Post
I know it makes a different where you buy from. Cheap stuff on Ebay is Chinese crap and brakes literally. Spend the money and buy from reputible source.
They're stock drums. I haven't bought anything.
URBANNGUERILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO