lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
stevewtucaz
Not Yet Wild

Default Full charge. Won't Go.

I'm the poster child for abuse of my golf cart. I have a 2005 Club Car Electric IQ 48V Regen (not sure what that means, but learned it from another thread about how to understand the serial number). Recently, after completely expiring the charge, I towed it back to my house with my truck. My son was in the cart and had the emergency brake on (even though I asked him if it was and he was sure it was not - shame on me for not checking myself). The even bigger mistake was not switching the Run/Tow switch to "tow" before pulling it home. When I got it home (~1/2 mile), the cart was stinking. I thought it smelled like burning brake pads and assumed that is what it was. I charged it that night and played a few holes of golf the next day. It seemed to perform fine, but continued to stink - although to a lesser degree. My daughter and her friends then took it out and got stranded. When I went and got her, the charge meter showed it with about 1/2 charge left. I towed it back (without the brake on and with the tow switch in "tow"). When you depress the accelerator, you hear the normal "click", but it doesn't go. I recharged it completely, but still no go. I'm thinking we may have ruined the motor. Thoughts? Ways to test? Any help is appreciated.
stevewtucaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Full charge. Won't Go.

welcome, i would test the controller 1st...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would sell the cart and get the kids a dog
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
stevewtucaz
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Tom. Is there a simple way to test the controller? What would towing the cart with the "Run/Tow" switch in "Run" do?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
stevewtucaz
Not Yet Wild

I can't stop laughing. . . . . . . . .
Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Could be the controller like they say but my guess is a burnt up motor. The very easiest way to test and see if it's the motor or controller is test the motor.

Put in tow, disconnect the batteries, remove the cables from the motor.

Wire the motor the way it is in the picture for the REGEN, connect to a 12 volt battery charger or across two batteries, it will spark don't be surprised. Make sure it's on jack stands if the motor is good, it will turn.

Do you have a volt meter? If so you can test the continuity of the motor leads. F1-F2 should have continuity, A1-A2 should have continuity, but no other combination or to the case from any of the posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor tests.jpg (24.1 KB, 26 views)
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
stevewtucaz
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I do have a volt-meter and will give it a try. Still curious about what the Run/Tow switch does. I assume it somehow electrically disengages the motor.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I would sell the cart and get the kids a dog

OT
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewtucaz View Post
Thanks. I do have a volt-meter and will give it a try. Still curious about what the Run/Tow switch does. I assume it somehow electrically disengages the motor.
It kills power to the controller so when the motor is spinning any back fed electricity generated by the motor does not damage the controller.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car