lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Can I put 48 volts in a Club Car with V-Glide?

I have a 1991 club Car DS with the V-Glide system. I was wondering since this does not have a controller can I put an extra 6 volt battery or two in it to get more speed? I understand that the wiring would need to be upgraded but I don't know what the extra voltage would do to the V-Glide or resistor bank. I am looking for a cheap way to increase speed and torque. Any advice anyone could give me would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!!
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I put 48 volts in a Club Car with V-Glide?

It can be done but, it has it's pitfalls
The v-glide and resistor coils are engineered for 36v worth of heat. More voltage will increase the heat and can result in a melt down of either or both of the units......

Now, having said that ..... I have run the stock cart on 48v for a year by simply driving WOT or nothing; minimizing the amount of time I put the juice thru the resistors. If you run wide open throttle the resistors are out of the circuit all together... hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks scottyb!! Would I gain anything by running 42 volt and would this minimize the heat somewhat versus 48 volt? Can you buy heavier duty resistors?
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
A.D.
Gone Wild

Speaking form experience i ran that same setup 48v on V-glide and resistors, and like Scotty said it will work, but not recommended. I would plan on upgrading in the near future if you go to 48V. The coils got extremely hot, If you do use this setup do not run at less then full throttle for very long. One advantage to your setup is you have a 36v motor and when it is hooked up to 48v it performs very well and add a Controller to it and you will see a little more speed but a lot more torque!!
A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Any increase in voltage will give more heat... 42 is hard to charge. But yeah 48v can be had with just a couple of old batteries, some cable, and a solenoid.... You just gotta drive it with heat in mind.... at your own risk and all that don't try this at home stuff
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
K-DAWG
Gone Wild

I did it for a year driving it like I wanted only burnt up 2 fwd and rev switches cause of bad wires. You can buy bigger resistor wires.
K-DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car