lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
Binderman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Think my charger killed my batteries.

85 Marathon and charger. Was at the lake and put the cart on charge before going to bed for the night. I get up the next morning and go outside and hear the Textron Charger buzzing still. WTH? Guess it had charged about 9 hours and was still running. Charge voltage was at 41.3 volts.

Checked water in batts and most were very low.... Ugh!!!

What needs to be repaired in the charger and might my 4 year old batteries survive?

Dangit!!!

Thanks all!!
Binderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Think my charger killed my batteries.

Those antique chargers that weight a ton and buzz when on, typically shut off when the on-charge voltage climbed to 45V +/- 1V, so if the pack voltage was only 41.3V the charger still being on is normal. Some. but not all of those old beasts had a 12hr or 16hr backup timer to shut the charger off if the on-charge voltage didn't climb high enough to shut the charger off.

My guess is you have a battery issue rather than a charger issue.

(Four years is a typical battery lifespan.)

But, what is make/model of charger?
I might have some info about it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:14 AM   #3
Lance Skene
Not Yet Wild

I have an '84 with the original charger... couldnt get a full charge into the batts so I took the top off the charger and found some of the wires had some heat damage... missing the plastic covering and frayed wires. I tested the batts by charging them individually on a 6v charger and they all went to about 7.2v so I replaced the charger... seems all fine now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (90.1 KB, 0 views)
Lance Skene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #4
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Skene View Post
I have an '84 with the original charger... couldnt get a full charge into the batts so I took the top off the charger and found some of the wires had some heat damage... missing the plastic covering and frayed wires. I tested the batts by charging them individually on a 6v charger and they all went to about 7.2v so I replaced the charger... seems all fine now.
That appears to be one of the older Lester built chargers with timer only, no control board to cut off by voltage, and would run the duration of the timer setting IF the timer was working. ( the timers often krap out with age ) I may be wrong on the charger, it may have a control board inside. Lester built those in many different configurations.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
Lance Skene
Not Yet Wild

my charger was cutting out... and it would cut back on... but never stay on long enough to get a full charge.
Lance Skene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
That appears to be one of the older Lester built chargers with timer only, no control board to cut off by voltage, and would run the duration of the timer setting IF the timer was working. ( the timers often krap out with age ) I may be wrong on the charger, it may have a control board inside. Lester built those in many different configurations.
The arrangement of the numbers on the timer dial tells you if it has a control board or not.

If has a control board, the numbers increase for the "Start" label. If it is timer only, the numbers get smaller from the "On" label.

Attach-1 has a control board, Attach-2 is timer only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC-I Model 20484.jpg (302.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Manual Charger - Black Face.JPG (42.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #7
Binderman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Mine is like the green one posted above. I still feel as if the charger has issues as it has a burnt smell and I found the shell of a small capacitor under it when I put it back inside. I haven't removed the cover yet to see for sure though.

If indeed my charger has died is it worth repairing or is there some new fangled one I should buy?

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!!
Binderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The green faced charger does have a control board, but that type charger shuts off when the on-charge voltage climbs to 45V +/-1V instead of when the batteries are fully charged. Modern chargers do a better job of fully charging batteries.

One of the best bangs for the buck is: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/lester-summit-ii.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO