lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
Ductapefix
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 36V EZGO PDS Controller or Pkg Recommendation

Hoping for a little help from you pros on here. I have the above cart with a replacement motor (D&D 170-501-001) (8.8 HP). Not going to change much else right now as I just bought a new set (36v) of Trojan batteries. But, the motor says it can do 48V so I might upgrade next time. So, I'd like to pick up some speed but I'd also like the upgrades to be sufficient in case I want to go to 42 or 48v next time around. I have a rear seat, stock tires and pretty much everything else is stock. I mostly run on roads and paths within a community with minor hills and barely ever off road-- certainly not any harsh off road use. Please let me know what you suggest and why-- if it's not too much trouble. Also, if I need to include any more info I'm happy to do so. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Ductapefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36V EZGO PDS Controller or Pkg Recommendation

here's my suggestion.....upgrade to a 400a ALLTRAX controller/soleniod package...best place to get one would be CARTSUNLIMITED.NET this is a direct link to the page on their site....what you will be wanting/needing is ITEM #5 on that page. and seeing where you are located, it gets HOT....so spring for the cooling fan thats available within that package. also, considering you might upgrade to 42/48v in the future....you may want to upgrade the high current cables as well.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Also consider the Alltrax XCT 500 control with built in cooling fan turned down to about 450-460 amps to protect the motor. The 500/400 controller /solenoid combo will run on 36 now and 48v later.
You will see 30-40% more torque and speeds of 22-23 mph
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Ductapefix
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I am loving the idea of the FN-key. Wife takes little kids out and teens take it sometimes as well. Having 3 separate modes and ability to leave it locked seems perfect to me. I am leaning toward heavier duty with ability to upgrade to 48v and the built in fan included. Already did a motor a couple years back and new batteries last month -- so WTH????
Old 12-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductapefix View Post
I am loving the idea of the FN-key. Wife takes little kids out and teens take it sometimes as well. Having 3 separate modes and ability to leave it locked seems perfect to me. I am leaning toward heavier duty with ability to upgrade to 48v and the built in fan included. Already did a motor a couple years back and new batteries last month -- so WTH????
good idea.....although I have a SERIES cart, I went with a 500a as you are better off with MORE than you need than not enough.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:45 AM   #6
Ductapefix
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The more I read the more I think I'd be better off going to 42V if I upgrade down the road. Is it hard to reprogram the XCT500 if I jump to 42V? Also, I don't see a package with everything and the FN-Key, just the FN-2. They offer the FN2 but not the FN-Key as part of the standard packages. We are way over budget but if I can get it all I have to do it.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductapefix View Post
The more I read the more I think I'd be better off going to 42V if I upgrade down the road. Is it hard to reprogram the XCT500 if I jump to 42V? Also, I don't see a package with everything and the FN-Key, just the FN-2. They offer the FN2 but not the FN-Key as part of the standard packages. We are way over budget but if I can get it all I have to do it.
If your batteries are nearly new, you can add another one (Same make and model) now for 42V. Need a 42V charger and an additional battery cable, but the MZJ400 and XCT4800-PDS are good to go.

Programming the XCT is easy. Need a USB-A to USB-B cable (AKA USB printer cable) to connect it to a computer. Download the free "Toolkit" programming software from Alltrax website along with the Toolkit user manual.

The under voltage slider may have to be adjusted to 31.5V or so and the rest can be tweaked to your personal preferences.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
jwhranger
Gone Wild

I have the above package from Cartsunlimited, the 500 xct and I love it. Depending on who will be on it, or where I will be (at the ranch, or on the streets) I tune the controller accordingly and it is very easy to do. The cooling fan is a plus, I live in Texas. You won't be disappointed and Scotty will help you with any troubleshooting you may have, but for me it was simply swap everything over and go.
jwhranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #9
Ductapefix
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Happy to hear it and looking forward to the same experience. I sent a PM to scottyb to clarify which package to buy so I get the FN-Key. Everything else seems necessary and just perfect for what I want to do. I'll be set for any future upgrades too.

I should be adding another battery to go to 42v right now but then I also need a new charger. This close to Christmas it will just have to wait for now.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
jwhranger
Gone Wild

You will still be happy with it at 36 volts, Scotty would know, but I think I am getting a higher speed out of the 36 volt motor when running 48 volts.
jwhranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO