lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
dtchildress
Not Yet Wild

Default Lifted G29 wet brake oil change

I just changed out the wet brake oil in my "new to me" 2008 G29 Drive. my first observation is that the fill plug on the axle seems low on the case (only about half way up). I am guessing that it only bathes half of the brake disks in oil and the rotation keeps everything wet.

I first pulled the fill plug and when I did oil poured out, maybe half a quart, which I thought was interesting four it to pour out the fill plug. Then I pulled the drain plug and let the rest run out. I even jacked up one side to help tilt the oil out. I put the drain plug back in and filled at the fill port until it over flowed. The issue is it was full after just 1 quart. I is supposed to take roughly one and a half. Now I may not have pulled all of the used oil out but I think I got most of it. Then it dawned on me that when you lift a cart, I believe it changes the angle that the axle sits on the frame slightly and that may be the issue. I jacked the back end up as high as I could and was able to get another 1/4 quart in but never got all the recommended 1.5 quarts in.

Anyone else have a similar issue with this?
dtchildress is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2019, 01:43 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Lifted G29 wet brake oil change

First, was it "level", like a stock golf cart? Lifted changes the whole geometry.. and no, 1qt isn't enough to fill a team axle like you have.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
dtchildress
Not Yet Wild

It was on a level surface but again with the 6" lift, while keeping the whole cart level, actually lets the rear axle assemble pivot down which throws off the original level of the motor and axle. I am not sure what that suspension/frame piece is called that allows the rear end to pivot down then you disconnect the rear shocks from the frame.

After Jacking the cart up ~10" I was able to pour in a little more to total out to around 1.25 qts. The fact that oil was pouring out when I opened the fill port in the first place points me to the level issue. There is no way I can add any more oil without it just overflowing.

There are only two hex key plugs in that axle correct? I was wondering if maybe I was not filling at the actual fill port but I looked for another plug and found none and am pretty confident I was filling it the way I was supposed to.

See the crude sketch below of what I think may be going on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Golf Cart Transaxle oil sketch.pdf (48.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by dtchildress; 04-16-2019 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Added Sketch
Old 04-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I totally agree with your drawing. That was the point I was trying to convey in the first place.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
dtchildress
Not Yet Wild

So then that begs the question: if lifting the cart effectively moves (lowers) the fill point, how would anyone with a lifted cart be able to replace the oil with the needed amount?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
Kessler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I first find out how much oil is needed per Yamaha,then after draining, If you have, say a 6" lift,..jack the back of the cart up 6" and add the correct amount.

works for me anyhow
Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #7
dtchildress
Not Yet Wild

I believe the needed oil per spec is 46 oz which is roughly 1.5 qts. I was only able to get 1.25 in (that includes an oz or 2 lost to the garage floor from spillage).

I jacked the cart up 10-12" but the problem is because of the rotation effect that occurred to the axle during lifting, jacking it up 6-12" does not tilt the axle back to true parallel to the ground. I found that I would need to go much higher to get the fill port back to level. The right way to do it would be to undo the rear lift every time to allow the axle to rotate back to its original position.

I have a feeling there are a lot of lifted carts out there with less oil than needed in the axle.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:02 AM   #8
Bentley Meredith
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I give you my word I have searched 10 times trying to find the answer on this site and cant, so here goes. What would be a recommended oil for the wet brake system. 2011 YDREX G29(Drive)? I saw a guy on youtube using 80w 90 gear oil, but had a friend in the know say that 30w synthetic would probably be better choice. Any suggestions.
Bentley Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 02:17 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yamalube - it's made for these carts. Info for that is in the owner's manual. You can buy it online.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha