lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Cushman (Steiner) Hawk transaxle differential

I just purchased a Hawk that wants to pop out of gear sometimes while in forward. Cart has f/n/r on a cvt golf cart style transaxle by Comex I believe. Just wondering if it is on its way out or if it’s an adjustment issue. If you hold the shift lever forward if engages fully but sometime slips if not hrld in place. Anyone with any experience much appreciated before I dive head first into this thing. Has the vanguard 14hp twin engine. Looks like this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cinejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Cushman (Steiner) Hawk transaxle differential

It sounds more like a linkage adjustment problem to me. I would certainly try making adjustments before going deeper.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Adjusted the linkages today, seems happier. This diff sounds like an old army hero, lots of whirling in diff. Anyone have a service, parts or even owners manual for this cushman hawk or similar. I have a cushman gt1 but the transaxle is different at fist glance. Says Ezgo on the gt1 transaxle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Have you checked the oil level? They do make noise, but are much louder when the oil level is low. On level ground the oil should be up to the level of the access plug, but should not run out when the plug is removed. Standard 90 weight differential lube is what I use.

EZGO and Cushman became both owned by Textron, so now they are one. The Cushman name still appears on some EZGO machines, but most of the original Cushman company is no more. The Cushman factory in Lincoln, Nebraska is now a vacant field.

Charley
Old 07-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

There is oil, but it is a little below the bottom of the filler cap "dipstick?" nodes. Ill top it up tonight and see if that quiets it down a bit.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

I've never noticed noise from my differential, but the engine noise inside the enclosed cab, plus my old age hearing problems likely keeps me from hearing it if it is making noise, but my son hasn't said anything about it and I've driven past him several times. I've got a spare differential should I need it anyway. When you checked the oil level, was there any sign of silver or gold flecks in it. I believe that the gears inside are steel and brass, so one of them wearing would likely be putting metal flecks into the oil. It might take an oil change to see it though.

My speedometer only showed that it had about 1400 miles on it when I got it, but as best as I can tell, I'm the third owner, so there's no way of knowing if this was a replacement speedometer or not. Still, the rest of my Truckster is in very good shape for it's age and the fact that it sat on the edge of a pine forest and completely neglected for almost 13 years before I got it.

Charley
Old 07-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Seems better now, took it off-roading. Was pretty impressed for turf tires. Machine is pretty capable, I think this has positrack
Old 08-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Pondfisher
Not Yet Wild

hello I have the same machine "cushman hawk 7970xx series" and it has lost its drive forward and reverse. Seems to engage the clutch fine but does not go. Any ideas for a new differential or repair? Thanks, Bill
Pondfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinejeff View Post
Seems better now, took it off-roading. Was pretty impressed for turf tires. Machine is pretty capable, I think this has positrack
Nice Hawk! What year is yours?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
Pondfisher
Not Yet Wild

Hello still looking for a rear end for my hawk. If any one could help that would be much appreciated!! Thanks !!!!!
Pondfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts