lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
ryand
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1997 DCS F/R issue and flat torque

Hi All-

I have been trolling for a while and last year Purchased a 97 EZGO DCS cart for neighborhood cruising. Since, I have installed a light kit, Madjax Rear seat and a few other little things. I started having issues with the cart once it started regularly hauling heavier loads...4 adults to and from the pool and other places. For starters, when backing out of the garage even off a fresh charge it will not want to go into reverse only moving forward regardless of where the lever is. A few rounds of cycling the switch seems to resolve this but I fear it is the controller going. Also on dead flat land it seems to loose power quickly even after a full charge. The Torque seems flat even with only one person. This is very noticeable in the colder weather.

Details:
Trojan batts new in 2012 however i have no idea how they were maintained before i purchased in 15'.

I regularly add distilled water some times too much and had one incident of boil over

Cart for the most part is kept charged with a automatic charger when not in use.

Very little inclines in neighborhood

Questions:
What is an avg lifespan of a good battery pack assuming they are properly maintained?

Regardless if the controller is on the way out, i have gathered that I should replace it based on what i am asking the OEM one to do. ie heavy loads and especially if i eventually lift the cart and install big tires....Alltrex seems to think I could go with the 500amp controller and still use the stock motor. Opinions of this.

If I do upgrade the cables, solenoid and controller am i asking for a motor meltdown?

I plan on taking the cart down to the frame in the next few months to get it ready for the spring. Also to do some cleaning of the body and possible paint. Thinking this would be a good time to tackle some of the issues above but not sure where to start spending the cash. Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 032.jpg (211.5 KB, 0 views)
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1997 DCS F/R issue and flat torque

Hi Ryan,
A 97 DCS cart is a great project. This cart can make more torque then a PDS cart and more speed than a series cart. Use a 400 amp controller with the stock motor. Add a seventh battery to produce additional torque and speed.
Use either Alltrax DCX or XCT 400a control and 4 gauge cables throughout with the stock motor or use 500 amp control with an aftermarket motor on 42 V for best results.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
ryand
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi ScottyB!

Sent you an email!
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Ryand, with only a few posts, you've been lurking rather than trolling.

A stock DCS controller defaults to forward and goes into reverse when battery pack voltage is applied to Pin-4. Your not going into reverse issue might be a flaky microswitch on the F/R assembly and that problem would carry over to your new controller, so check for the proper voltage on Pin-4 when in reverse.

Also, installing taller tires reduces the amount of torque available where rubber meets road, so keep that in mind when doing your upgrades. (IE: 22" tires will reduce the torque by 18%, so you may want to compensate for it by selecting more robust components for your build.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 98 EZGO DCS and had same problem with not going into reverse.

When switched to reverse, no backup tone and it would actually go forward.

Someone here told me to bend the reverse microswitch arm back towards the button a little and that did fix it.

I did purchase a new microswitch, but have decided not to put it in until the current one is completely broken.

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO