lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default tube bending software

Has anyone used the free tube bending software from jd2? I downloaded it an have been playing around with it. It works great for a single tube but I cant seem to figure out how to make an assembly. Is this a limited version where this doesnt work or am I missing something? Has anyone used a free or cheap program that can make a whole roll cage or assembly? I dont want to spend much as it will probably be a one time use.
revoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

Default Re: tube bending software

Which software did you get. I have basic bend tech which works just fine. I do have a back ground in CAD so its a little easier for me than someone that's never done anything like this. If you want to design a full roll cage and see it complete before you build it you will need bend tech pro 3D. I haven't installed my software yet. But I've used similar. You will have to setup basic set points like highth and width. You will start with drawing a square in the measurements you want then tell it what material you are using and the radious of your die. Once you have all that set it will do its maic
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
oddpowers
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, I feel dumb. I down loaded the JD2 tube bending software also, but I can figure out how to use it.
oddpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

They did make the program easier than a normal CAD system. But not by much. First you need to tell the system what you are working with such as the size of tubing and wall thickness. Then you tell it what radius your die is. I'm working with 1.5 tubing with .120 wall and a 7" radius die. Once you have that done you can go to the legend and pick out a templet of the shape you are wanting by the number of bends. From there you will need to know how tall and wide you want your piece to be. Play with it some till you get the feel for it. Once you have a shape picked out and you have your measurements entered there is a box that tells you where your bends will start and the degree of the bend
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by agc View Post
Ok, I feel dumb. I down loaded the JD2 tube bending software also, but I can figure out how to use it.
I had trouble also but got it figured out by playing with it. Here an example for a U shape 40" by 40' by 40" This will get you started. Click on new tube, then go into the box with the grid and right click, click on edit tube and a window will open with boxes for your measurements. The top row is your starting point I just left them at zeros. Next go to the 2nd row enter 40 in floor to ceiling, Then 3rd row enter 40 in left to right, Then enter -40 in 4th row floor to ceiling. click finish. + and - change the bend left or right and up and down. when you are all done click calculate tube on the right side of screen. This will show you where to mark the tube and what angle to bend it at. Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
oddpowers
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do I have to do the START TUBE WIZARD? If so what is "K" factor. Then in DEFAULT TOOL what is CLR and OFFSET. I assume CLR is the die radius.
Then the next page is the same as if you right clicked in the grid box. "Property Page" First column is front+back-, next colum is left+right-, the the next is floor+cieling-, the the next is tool, and you cant type anything in there.
I'm getting a little farther with it, but still may be too complex for my simple little mind
Old 12-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by agc View Post
Do I have to do the START TUBE WIZARD? If so what is "K" factor. Then in DEFAULT TOOL what is CLR and OFFSET. I assume CLR is the die radius.
Then the next page is the same as if you right clicked in the grid box. "Property Page" First column is front+back-, next colum is left+right-, the the next is floor+cieling-, the the next is tool, and you cant type anything in there.
I'm getting a little farther with it, but still may be too complex for my simple little mind
I am still trying to figure some of it out also. You dont have to start the tube wizard you can just start new tube then right click in the grid and edit tube. If you want to change the material or tool at the top tool bar on the right end there is a M for material and a T for tool. If you click on them you can change the diameter of the tube and the radius of the bend. I havent figured out what the K factor is or offset but the CLR is the centerline radius of your die. All of your measurements are from the center of the tube.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hoping to start my roll cage this week. I am waiting for the steel and finishing my bender. Heres a couple pictures of the bender, hope it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD531281.JPG (95.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SD531282.JPG (98.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SD531283.JPG (96.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

i've never used a tube bender, but i've bent up thousand of feet of e.m.t., rigid, stainless, and aluminum conduit. is there really a big difference. i would think that the math would be the same. i would think that the major difference might be the tightness of the radius that would be possible. with the benders i use, i usually start by charting them, which is basically bending a stub 90, and keeping track of the travel. once i know this i can do the math and bend anything 90 or less with accuracy. i just say this because i 'm going to build a rollcage and bumpers some day for my cart and would like to know if i'm missing something before i launch into disaster.
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
oddpowers
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoarcher View Post
Hoping to start my roll cage this week. I am waiting for the steel and finishing my bender. Heres a couple pictures of the bender, hope it works.
That just like mine. I works well, but you can't do anything over a 90

Good job on the bender!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center