lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Tube bending for a Bimini top....???

Have any of you guys ever built a "Bimini Top" for any type of equipment? I'm looking to build a custom Bimini top, that is sort of an upside down "L". I don't want front supports so I can easily swing ....say a rifle from left to right when I'm coyote hunting etc.

Any suggestions as to what type of tubing material (I can get a $25 tube bender) I should be looking at. The Mrs's is quite good at sewing so a material top can be done. Also, any suggestions as to the type of fastener's that I should be looking at?

I'd prefer to build something that is quickly removable so the 80mph on the pickup truck won't cause it to fly off.

Here's a crude drawing of what is in my head.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Tube bending for a Bimini top....???

Not sure if it would be wide enough but the front roof supports for an ezgo txt would be a good start for roof ring. Other option would be to build it out of schedule 40 pvc..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #3
cbdeese61
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You may be able to make electrical conduit work It is easily formed by bending. Would just need to figure a way to make something for it to fit into for removal. Maybe sew some velcro strips sewn into the top when it is made and they could wrap around the frame and attach back to itself? Just a couple of quick thoughts.
cbdeese61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:02 AM   #4
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I used the flat bar and squre channel alumium from the home depot when I made such a top for My G1 15 years ago... its a little worse for wear these days with a tree branch going through the vinyl top but otherwise held up well. (you can see it in my avatar pic) I was able to use a lot of the stock framework as well.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:17 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I was thinking electrical conduit as it would be easy to bend (with pipe bender of course).

For the top, since there are going to be no front supports, sewing a "tube like" sewing design ...or as my wife said....a "sock like" slid on and off would perhaps work well. The frame could just be left bolted on and then remove the "sock" for truck travel.

Augiedoggy....the aluminum "square channel" would be something for me to look at. Can you bend that using a pipe bender? Or is a press needed? (I don't have a press or access to one)

Thanks for all replies! All good stuff!!
Old 01-20-2023, 12:34 PM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I was thinking electrical conduit as it would be easy to bend (with pipe bender of course).

For the top, since there are going to be no front supports, sewing a "tube like" sewing design ...or as my wife said....a "sock like" slid on and off would perhaps work well. The frame could just be left bolted on and then remove the "sock" for truck travel.

Augiedoggy....the aluminum "square channel" would be something for me to look at. Can you bend that using a pipe bender? Or is a press needed? (I don't have a press or access to one)

Thanks for all replies! All good stuff!!
I am not sure honestly I know the pipe can be filled with sand and it bends nice that way without kinking but I didnt need to bend the square channel pieces only the flat ones in my case.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:23 PM   #7
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your drawing looks a lot like the rear canopy supports for a stock RXV. Just need to extend them forward.
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:06 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesstwo View Post
Your drawing looks a lot like the rear canopy supports for a stock RXV. Just need to extend them forward.
Hmmm.....why yes.....yes it does. BRILLIANT!!

I looked at the txt rear support and they are bent in a similar manner.....and I may, just may have my old one's from removing the standard roof and installing the "roll bar type" roof that I have now.

I ask this as I'm looking at a different type of vehicle. It qualifies as a "wheelchair" and is built for just one person. And, like any machine that I need to rely on to get me from point A to B in the outdoors, it has it's plus's and it's drawbacks.

There is no roof on this, so I'm looking to fabricate one that is not only usable, but also doesn't look like an old rag was wired onto a support strut. In the summer I cannot be under direct sun as it just "kills" me. It's a disease thing. My plan is to fab\install something simple, workable, and that looks good.

I'm also needing to install a winch, and will find a very small marine lithium battery to power that. My space is limited, so small is good!

I'm not getting rid of my EZ-GO cart as the EZ-GO will still have very useful purposes and places that it will work better.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:08 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Not sure if it would be wide enough but the front roof supports for an ezgo txt would be a good start for roof ring. Other option would be to build it out of schedule 40 pvc..
I missed this part of the post! Man.....getting old is a B*%@H
Old 01-21-2023, 11:58 AM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Beats the alternative.. I’ve had 4 friends pass away in the last 2 months…

If you haven’t bought anything yet look into these

https://cricketminigolfcarts.com/
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center