lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2022, 01:44 PM   #1
bbooth1986
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Zone Golf Cart | Navitas 600a Controller | BigBattery Lithium Upgrade = SLOW??

I have a 2010 Zone 48v 6 passenger golf cart, which was previously running 8 Lead Acid Trojan batteries, through a Curtis 1268 controller. It was running great, but the batteries were getting weak on hills and depleting quicker than normal.... I decided to jump headlong into Lithium.

Step 1: I purchased 2 BigBattery Badger (2nd Gen) 48V lithium batteries.

These are the units: https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-...mc-48ah-2-1kwh

- Outcome:
I installed them and the cart was painfully slow and seemed to be in a limp mode. 3-4 MPH top speed

- Troubleshooting:
I called BigBattery, they informed me I needed 2 more batteries to be able to run my controller/motor. I begrudingly sent them another $2k

Step 2: 2 more batteries arrived, installed them both

- Outcome:
Same limp mode.... !!!!!

- Troubleshooting:
I called BigBattery, who insisted my controller was the culprit and I needed to upgrade, which they suggested a Naviatas 600amp unit.

Step 3: I dropped $900 on a Naviatas 600amp controller, and installed it....

- Outcome:
After some persuading, it is faster than limp mode but not even close to the power I had with the old lead acid batteries and curtis controller. It **** near squeals the tires on initial throttle application, but then the torque completely dies off and it slowly arrives at a top speed of ~16MPH. On hills is slows down to 12-13MPH.

- Troubleshooting:
I fortunately now get diagnostics with Navitas, which indicates a "Low Battery Limiting" fault. I called Navitas and they did some tweaking, which fixed the fault but not the speed. Navitas thinks its the batteries, Big Battery thinks its the controller or something else. The Low Battery Limiting error also came back this morning, and they are fully charged....

I am about to give up.... please, before I drop this thing in a lake... any thoughts on what the issue(s) might be?

Last edited by bbooth1986; 11-28-2022 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Removing an unintended emoji
bbooth1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts