lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
wildman1
Not Yet Wild

Default 1974 HD Solenoid

Okay, I have a 74 HD 3 wheeler that I bought about 1-1/2 years ago. I got it running then but it got to where it wouldnt even make a click when I tried to start it. I haven't spent any time with it since then. Today I started working with it and I believe the soleniod might be bad. I know I need to replace the pedal switch because the tabs broke off from being rusted. The cart will still turn over when I use a jumper from the hot on the battery to the post on the solenoid.

Also, the guy I bought it from had made some changes to the electrical wiring and added a toggle switch to start it with, because of that there are a couple extra wires I believe. I have traced all of the wires and everything matches the schematic except for a couple which i think he added because the pedal switch was bad.

My plan is to restore this and would like for everything to look original. I would like to put the right parts on it like replacing the toggle switch with a key switch, replace the pedal switch, etc.

Any help or info where I can find parts or troubleshoot the solenoid would be great.
wildman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1974 HD Solenoid

Vintage golf cart parts list both solenoid and switch.
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Any auto parts store sells continuous duty solenoids! Not expensive.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
wildman1
Not Yet Wild

So...I have replaced the solenoid, key switch, pedal switch, and replace the circuit breaker with a fuse. Still will not turn over or even make a sound. I can put a jumper from the large post on one side of the solenoid to the other and it will immediately start to turn over. Any suggestions?
wildman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Ground or B+ to the solenoid is missing. When the key switch is "on" and the f/r switch is in Forward or Reverse put a volt meter on the + side of the solenoid to ground. Hit the gas pedal and you should get 12 volts to the terminal of the solenoid (It should snap in and pass battery voltage to the starter). The large terminals of the solenoid should go to the battery and the other to the starter through the F/R switch. The small terminals should tie to ground and 12 volts from the gas pedal switch.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

A schematic from the service manual is attached. Trace the "B" wire for battery voltage backwards from the solenoid if you do not have battery voltage there when the acc pedal is depressed. The schematic also shows another small terminal going to ground (see Tew45 post).
Alternately; to test the solenoid; apply battery voltage to the "B" wire terminal to test solenoid operation.
Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P-5-12_HD_Manual_Service_.pdf (197.0 KB, 0 views)
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson