lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
suttonsigep
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 EZ-Go Marathon Charging Question

I just purchased my first golf cart last week, an 89 EZ-Go Marathon (36v). When I purchased it, it was not running. I replaced the batteries and solenoid, and it seems to be running fine now (a little slow, but I’ll worry about that later). My question is around charging though. As I said, this is my first cart so I’m still learning the best practices. The cart came with a Lester Electrical model 09611 charger. As far as I can tell, this charger will not automatically shut off when the batteries are at 100%. Is that correct? When should I charge my batteries and how do I know when they’re finished? I keep reading about leaving your cart on the charger all the time, but I gather that they have automatic chargers that maintain the charge. I will likely order one of those soon, but in the meantime, I would appreciate any tips.
suttonsigep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 1989 EZ-Go Marathon Charging Question

Depending on what your battery pack voltage is will determine how much charge you need. With the older timer chargers it's a guessing game at best. You can take battery pack voltage readings and set the timer per the voltage reading. The higher the voltage reading is the smaller the run time. Starting @ 36 volts. If the cart is reading 36 volts then I suggest about 5/6 hours on the charger. If it's reading 37 volts knock at least 2hr off that and so on. This isn't set in stone just what I have found to work for me over the past 30 years fooling with them.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 09611-01 Charger.jpg.gif (31.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png rv-battery-open-circuit-voltage.png (22.9 KB, 0 views)
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO