lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Purple Frog
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Stealth 72v Night Hawk 4x4 problem

Long time lurker, first time poster...

The grandparents have a Stealth Night Hawk.
Great batteries, the pack is putting out about 88v.
It is a 2011 model with the uprated Mountain motor, with cooling system.
When it is put in forward or reverse and the throttle pedal is depressed the corresponding solenoid clicks, but the buggy does not move.

I was able to download a 700A Series controller PDF. Unfortunately it has no diagrams so I don't know which is the B+ terminal and which is the M- terminal.

I know Sunoco is probably the expert on these but emails and facebook posts to him have resulted in no reply yet.

Anybody out there have suggestions.
I'm open to trailering it to a repair shop in GA FL or AL to have it repaired if I could find one willing.

TIA
Purple Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
Purple Frog
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Stealth 72v Night Hawk 4x4 problem

The interweb is a great resource if you have time and patience...

After about 5 hours of burning up the Google machine I have found:
1. The names of all the terminals on the controller
2. The PDF of instructions from Stealth to test the contactors and the pins on the controller (a previous Sunoco post )

I believe what I have is a Star controller. But, I managed to download the pdf of the Curtis controller that appears to be much like the Star. Those 34 pages detail some good test procedures.

What I haven't found out is what voltage the MCOR throttle needs to operate correctly. (maybe 15v ?)

Next step is to do the testing... well actually the next step is to get it out of the woods.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
Purple Frog
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

OBTW, after reading hundreds of posts about Stealth buggies and knowing there are a lot of owners out there without a great support system, I will post back what I find out and any fixes that work.

I notice a lot of threads with folks that have problems, but they trail off and never post if they got a solution. That doesn't help others on the forum.

So, I'll try to do better with follow-up knowledge.

Also, I'm still willing to hand this problem to a good repair facility if any know of one. I didn't plan on becoming a EV technician this week.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Purple Frog
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Buggy is now out of the woods and trailered back to the shop.

After an hour of cleaning... found this number:

Stealth 72v contriller part number: 60L700NNVSS2
TOYOTA, CATEGORY : STAR.
Originally a Toyota fork lift part.

I found rebuilt ones available on-line ~$450.
There appears to be a Star manual available.

Hopefully Grandma's tests OK.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Hey Purple Frog, just saw this. I don't recall seeing any emails or phone calls from you?

I would be glad to work on your unit if that's what you want to do. If not, you need to go through the testing procedures and narrow down your issue.

The throttle is 5k-0

And no this isn't/wasn't a Toyota fork lift part.
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #6
Purple Frog
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

OK Stealth fans,

We are making progress.
First off, when doing tests on the electrics, get all driven wheels off the ground. In our case, all 4.

What we did first was clean the cart. Evidently Grandma did some serious offroading on her farm. We couldn't have it in the shop spreading debri far and wide. Into the shop and up on jackstands.
Started the tests. It flunked the first one for the line contactor.

That is the first solenoid that the Positive (+) battery cable attaches to.
It is an Albright Club Car SW80-1275P 48V PO (picture below)

Grandma's was manufactured in May of 2013.

I found some great test procedures with Google to test it.
It had 54v going in on the switch wires, and sounded like it was working, but seriously flunked the ohm test. It was not connecting the 72v circuit at all.
For grins, I did an autopsy. The contact plate and points inside looked like moon rocks. Totally fried.

If you are wondering why it happened.... the answer:
The battery cables had gotten loose. Always not a good thing. Then to add insult to injury Grandpa was using the cart to pull a very heavy load... full throttle. It is hard to explain physics to a 87 year old. Anyway he melted down the posts off two batteries during his little tow. "it was going good until it started smoking...a lot"

I removed all the batteries. Cleaned them up. Tested them. Replace two, and wired them all up with 1 guage wire. Maybe a bit of overkill, but go big or go home. The onboard charger is working great. The battery pack has been sitting at about 88v for the last few days.

When the new solenoid arrives we will see what else fried. Or, maybe with some luck the line solenoid frying might have acted like a blown fuse and saved everthing else down stream.

Meanwhile, I'll be checking lube, oils, etc. Oh... and figuring out why they disconnected the electric winch. Sure would have made it easier to get on the trailer out in the woods, just saying.

Stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72 volt Stealth Nigh Hawk.jpg (341.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Albright Club Car SW80-1275P 48V PO.jpg (181.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Glad you got it back going!
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
fdt88
Not Yet Wild

Purple frog,
Speaking for all the other Stealth owners, we appreciate your post. It is nearly impossible to get information on these things. I love mine for hunting. Thanks.
fdt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
Purple Frog
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

two and a half years later...

I did have to change out the second on-board battery charger in 2019.

Now, Grandpa got stuck in the woods again... Pulled up to the tree stand. But could not get the buggy to go in reverse.

We got it turned around and drove it home. Forward fine, But... no reverse.

When put in reverse and throttle depressed, solenoids click and appears to have voltage to motor...

Anyone out there in the world wide web got any ideas?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
old hippie
Not Yet Wild

I have a 72v 2011 nighthawk that I just installed new batteries in. I just went back and forth in my shop a few times to make sure that it moved. I had to adjust the hill brake and went to run the cart out and nothing. I hear the micro switch for the throttle clicking but nothing at the solenoid. Help would be appreciated !!
old hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts