lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2023, 06:38 PM   #201
cascader
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Extreme Team issues - post here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Can you please indicate the axial components you’re talking about, I can’t seem to see them. The only components I would expect to see on the boards would be temperature sensors. I’ve often hear people refer to whatever component they’re looking at as a capacitor, or a resistor, or whatever, so I take the replacement diode comment with a grain of salt.

If there are other components on board it could explain why we’re seeing so many ET BMS failures taking out cells with them and why replacement BMS’s have not always performed as expected.
It is difficult to be certain, so I’m not saying they are definitely there, but I’ve circled some candidates. It is also interesting to note that the solder blobs are offset, and the cells are probably pouch cells and not prismatic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1372.jpeg (97.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1373.jpeg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
cascader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2023, 06:56 PM   #202
cascader
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Is this balance control setting applicable (even for passive balance without an accessory) ?

I haven’t used a Daly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1374.jpeg (40.1 KB, 0 views)
cascader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:00 PM   #203
snoop911
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascader View Post
Is this balance control setting applicable (even for passive balance without an accessory) ?

I haven’t used a Daly.
it wont let me toggle that tab nor will it let me toggle another tab that is about balancing the pack
I did try
snoop911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:14 AM   #204
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:

I haven’t used a Daly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop911 View Post
it wont let me toggle that tab nor will it let me toggle another tab that is about balancing the pack
I did try
That’s just an indicator telling you when it’s balancing. Balancing is toggled on/off by parameters in the settings.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:20 AM   #205
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It is difficult to be certain, so I’m not saying they are definitely there, but I’ve circled some candidates. It is also interesting to note that the solder blobs are offset, and the cells are probably pouch cells and not prismatic.
All those markings just look like creases in the Kapton tape to me.

I doubt they’re pouch cells, most likely prismatic with solder tabs as pictured below.

BF406C33-FCD1-46E8-98E8-F58B1D6516E2.jpeg
Old 12-16-2023, 02:48 PM   #206
Clemsonprecedent
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Do all the items below before giving the pack a charge!

SOC low level alarm doesn't look good. Have you given the pack a full charge? Give the battery a full charge and if the SOC doesn't reset itself to 100%, set "SOC set" to 100% at this time.

Is you battery 100Ah? if not, set "Rated capacity" to what it should be
Set "balance open start volt" to 3.4v, 3.2v is waaaay too low
Set "balance open diff volt" to 0.020v
Set "Cell volt high protect" to 3.65v
Set "Sum volt high protect" to 87.6v (This being set too high at 90v may be the cause of not self resetting to 100%)

I would also drop the "discharge overcurrent protect" to something more reasonable. Try 300A. Also change the "sleep waiting time" to 65535 as was suggested by Walter in the other thread.

Report back the results please.
Pat, after this suggestion of yours, I had several months of trouble-free usage from my battery.

However, I was in an accident Labor Day weekend and did not use my cart several months while recovering. When I got back to it, I charged the battery and let it top off all the cells. Rode the cart several days with no issues. But, I noticed I couldn't get the bluetooth feature to connect to my smart BMS app on my phone. When I took the lid off my battery to push the "find" button on the bluetooth module (never had to do this before) it would connect to my app on my phone, but won't stay connected long, and it was saying cells 3 and 23 were 0.0 v, but I know they aren't becasue by battery is still getting to 87.6v full charge right after I unplug the charger. I also noticed many of the settings appear to be reset. For example, the high cell voltage was set to 0.0 and the balance board settings only show 6 cells on the first harness and 6 on the second. I unplugged the balance wire harnesses and I'm getting the proper voltages at all the pins. Now, after plugging everything back in, it appears the BMS keeps cycling on and off and the bluetooth won't stay connected. While trying to restore all of my settings, the bluetooth will disconnect and when I go back into the app, they are reset again. Also, the voltage at the main lugs on the battery, that connect to the cart, keep changing. It's like the BMS keeps resetting becasue it will read around 81 volts and then while holding my multimeter on it, they will slowly go down to no voltage. I also noticed when I opened the lid that the fan was cutting on and off randomly on the BMS.

Does this sound like a bad BMS? or, is there a way to do a hard reset on it or firmware update?

Thanks,
Clemsonprecedent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 03:31 PM   #207
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Remind me which BMS you have again please, Daly?

Certainly seems like your BMS is faulty. At this point I wouldn’t trust what the BMS is telling you and the readings of 0 are probably missed communication messages. Writing new data to the BMS is probably fruitless as well. Have you tried resetting the BMS by removing all power and reconnecting? This can be done by removing the cell connection plugs. Check each cell to confirm their voltage report back. Next steps are dependent on the condition of your cells.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:12 PM   #208
Clemsonprecedent
Getting Wild

Club Car

Pat,
Yes, I have the Daly 500a with fan.

I let the BMS sit all night and day today with the B- from the pack disconnected, the balance harnesses unplugged and the BT module unplugged. Checked every pin on the balance harnesses and they all show around 3.3v. Connected the B-, BT and balance harnesses to restart the connection process and it’s still doing the same thing. Will connect to BT on the smart BMS app and let me start changing settings but then drops the connection and all the settings go back to where they were, which are grossly incorrect.

I’ve ordered a JK 24s 200a BMS to replace it.

That being said, what’s the best app to use in setting up the JK parameters and monitoring cells?
Clemsonprecedent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 11:57 PM   #209
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm glad the BMS didn't take any cells out with it. Faulty Daly's have been known to do that.

Excellent BMS choice there. JK has its own app, which is very good. You'll find it has many more parameters than the Daly, a good thing. Yell out if you need any help setting it up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium