lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Running C/C rearend in reverse for forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larboc View Post
He's suggesting you swap rear ends to one that spins the way you want when "Forward" is selected.

I rigged up a relay that reverses polarity to the ignition trigger on my sled engine swap cart that runs it backwards for reverse. You could do it permanently and just run it in reverse depending on cooling system.
Thank you. I was lost. I can mount my engine in either direction plus I am running a jack shaft, the install would be easier and cleaner if I could run the transaxle in reverse for forward direction. With that being said I most likely will leave the transaxle direction stock.
2 STROKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Not exactly,
What I'm saying is if you have a 84-96 trans and a sled motor, unless you do something weird the motor turns the proper direction for the transaxle. So forward would be forward.

In Scotty's case he had a 97 or newer transaxle so the rotation would be backwards. But NOT so in your case. :)
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Larboc
Getting Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 STROKING View Post
Just wanting to know if anyone has had any experience running a 90's club car DS rear end in Reverse as forward direction? I am doing a custom sled motor install and most likely going to run a jack shaft due to clearance issues. Just want to know what all my options are before I mount the engine. One option would be to use Reverse gear as FORWARD direction. Just curious if it would hold up and if the ratio is the same? Any help would be appreciated.

Brad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
Not exactly,
What I'm saying is if you have a 84-96 trans and a sled motor, unless you do something weird the motor turns the proper direction for the transaxle. So forward would be forward.

In Scotty's case he had a 97 or newer transaxle so the rotation would be backwards. But NOT so in your case. :)
I think that was the point of his post. He is considering turning the sled engine around (exhaust pointing out the back) and to do so he thinks he would need a jackshaft.
Larboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Due to clearance issues, belt lengths available, and clutches I will be running a Jack shaft. This will allow me to also change my gear ratios easily. I understand which way my engine turns, which way the input shaft on my transaxle turns for forward. I just want to know what my options are. If I choose to turn the input shaft on my transaxle backwards, shift it so the cart goes forward (which would mean the shifter is now in reverse) for my cart to go forward is there any disadvantages?
Also my sled engine drive clutch is on the drivers side of the cart where the transaxle driven clutch is on the passenger side. So if I leave the engine facing a normal position with the exhaust manifold pointing to the front, then I will have to run a jack shaft. Plus with this setup I would have to run the transaxle backwards. If I mount my engine facing backwards with the exhaust manifold pointing towards the transaxle, this will put both the drive clutch and the driven clutch on the same sides, and the engine and transaxle directions would match for forward =forward. However the problem is the engine can not be mounted close enough to the transaxle. It would require a +60" belt. If I run a jack shaft in this setup, then I can run a stock size belt and also allow me to change my gear ratio's.

This is all assuming that the transaxle shifter points (the one on the transaxle) to the drivers side of the cart for forward as I was told in another thread I started. Which means the driven clutch turns counterclockwise for forward direction? If this is wrong then I have been waisting everyone s time for some bad information I was given. I was given the transaxle, so I had no idea on which way was forward or reverse.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
Larboc
Getting Wild
Columbia

Looking at parts diagrams, it looks like the reverse idler is a different ratio.
Larboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That figures. Can anyone else confirm the direction the driven clutch on the transaxle should turn for the proper forward/reverse direction. As of now I am under the impression that it is counter closewise when looking at the driven clutch on the transaxle?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If it was me I would Turn the axle one turn count the turns at the in put, shift it and do it again the shift positio whit the most turns at the input is reverse.
Simple and done.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I've seen stock primary clutches unscrew themselves by being run backwards. Just something to take into account.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
I've seen stock primary clutches unscrew themselves by being run backwards. Just something to take into account.
Thank you, but I will not be turning the engine, drive clutch or the driven clutch backwards.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
If it was me I would Turn the axle one turn count the turns at the in put, shift it and do it again the shift positio whit the most turns at the input is reverse.
Simple and done.
I thought about that, but was not sure.
Thank you I will give that a try.

Brad
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!