lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
lspencer001
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question what type of 2 cycle oil to use

I am the new owner of a 1974 D4. the previous owner did a basic rebuild of the engine and a tune up on it. the gas tank was half full when I bought it and the owner did not say what type of 2 cycle oil to use. I went to TSC to look at their oil supply and all they had was marine 2 cycle oil and ATV 2 cycle oil. I read online that marine 2 cycle is bad for the cart. will the ATV 2 cycle oil work in it or is there another brand that I need to use. the cart smokes a lot now but I think that is just because the gas/oil ratio was mixed wrong or that is what I was told.
lspencer001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
coldbeerpirate
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: what type of 2 cycle oil to use

I use Bel-Ray synthetic oil. You can find it at any motorcycle shop. and I mix it at 40 to 1. Works well for me
coldbeerpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
lspencer001
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
lspencer001
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

which type of Bel-Ray do you use. I looked on their website and they have 7 different types of 2 cycle oil.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
coldbeerpirate
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

I've been usung the MC-1 for many years
coldbeerpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I use WalMart's 2 cycle oil. I have went through about 5 gallons now without ill affects. I can't afford to use synthetic. I use too much of it for I use my cart a long time almost everyday. Just use a quality oil you can live with. The HD engine is not a high performance engine that requires sophisticated oil.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Don B.
Gone Wild

I was gonna start a thread of its own but I saw this and found it relevant as well;
Question; Has anyone ever tried that "opti-Mix" in their cart? Good? Bad?
Don B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
WVHarley
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I use Homelite from Lowes. Mixed 85-1 Just a Tew and the manual suggested 2 years ago. I get a little smoke at start up, but once it is warmed up it no smoke & no issues with the plug either.
WVHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Don B.
Gone Wild

YEARS ago when most 2 cycles ran anything like a 16:1-24:1 the recommendation was straight 30W motor oil; then came "outboard oil" that kinda took over for 30W; an all purpose 2 cycle oil; but now a days everyone says "use ONLY" 'Their" oil (I just bought a new Stihl hedge cutter I had to buy a 6 pack of their "ultra" mix to extend my warranty from 2 to 4 years) it calls for a 50:1 mix; so do my Echo Weedeaters and power pruner; when I got my 1st Echo weedeater (still have) the joker claimed that not using "their" oil would void the warranty; and that using something other than OEM Genuine Echo oil would cause an instant 20PSI compression loss; BULL $#1T; I have had this thing for 10+ years and never needed the warranty; and only used "their" oil in the 1st batch of mix I prepped for it; since it has been Lawn Boy oil, or Pennzoil TC-wII Outboard oil (of which for whatever reason unknown to me most air cooled small engine makers say specifically "not" to use) and yes there was a time or two that I remember going to the shelf and putting the right amount, of 10-W-40 in for my pre mix; not often but I have... I think the most important thing is just not to put straight gas in it.......

I like the idea of that OPTI stuff, mix according to OPTI's ratio and it's supposed to be good for any 2 cycle ratio; I asked today at work (I am a "summer temp" at a State Park between college semesters, I spend my days either on a tractor or like today running a Weedeater all day as long as it aint raining) as they use OPTI; and with all the chain saws blowers weedeaters hedge cutters etc they have the guy that does most of the mechanical repairs told me he has seen no adverse effects from using its "universal" ratio.....

On that note I have an OLD Homelite diaphragm-style trash pump that calls for (I forget which its been a while since I have needed it) 24:1 or 32:1; and it says right on the sticker, to use a 30W non-detergent motor oil; my trimmers blowers power pruner are all 50:1, and then I have these Harley carts..... it would be nice to be able to use a "one size fitz all" type mix; I should have my 81 ready to test fire tomorrow for teh 1st time w/o feeding it gas from a Windex spray bottle; and for its maiden voyage under my care I am gonna finish off the can of 50:1 that I whipped up last week with that STIHL oil in it....... I may cut back a bit, once I get some run time on it.
Don B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #10
Whitespider
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

I was using "Opti" when I first got my Harley this spring, mixed just like the package directions, at 100:1 ratio. I ended up putting a piston in it after a month... But, I hesitated to blame the "Opti" mix because the cart had been sitting for some time and I didn't check compression when I got it...

Back in the "olden" days, before high-tech two-cycle oils and 16:1 engines, just about any motor oil would work for pre-mix. As oil technology improved some engine makers started recommending 24:1 ratios. And when dedicated two-cycle oils for air-cooled engines became readily available recommended ratios of 32:1 and 40:1 became pretty standard. Now-a-days, many dedicated two-cycle oils are specifically formulated to be used at specific ratios... for example, Stihl oil is designed to be mixed at 50:1 and would be safe to run in any engine at that ratio IF the carb is (or can be) adjusted properly for the mix (even the old 16:1 engines). But, if you mixed that same Stihl oil at 32:1 for your Lawn-Boy (standard Lawn-Boy mix is 32:1) it would be way to rich, likely foul the plug eventually, and cause the Lawn-Boy to run a bit underpowered and on the warm side. Now-a-days the oil should be mixed per package directions and the engine tuned accordingly... mixing that (specific 50:1) Stihl oil at 85:1 for your cart is incorrect, may cause it to run lean and leave the rings/bearings/seals under-lubricated at higher RPM's.

The Harley cart engine (Kohler) with the Tillotson carburetor does not have a true high-speed adjustment, short of changing the jet; those engines were never designed to run at high RPM (some two-cycles run 13-14,000). The Harley was governed at around 3000 RPM, most governors have been removed allowing RPM to reach 5000, maybe 6000 RPM... which means they are going leaner than intended (RPM is limited by the ratio of air/fuel delivery to exhaust flow). The Harley manual says to mix 85:1 using Harley Davidson Two-Cycle Lubricant or 50:1 using 40w non-detergent... So, does anyone have any Harley Davidson Two-Cycle Lubricant, or even know what it was? With the governor removed, I'd be a bit leery using a 100:1 mix (such as Opti) without some way to adjust high-speed mixture... I'd even be a bit concerned using an 85:1 mix if I was running the cart over 3000 RPM for very long.

A two-cycle engine, when tuned properly, will smoke a bit at less than maximum (tuned) RPM, but should stop smoking at (or just before) wide-open-throttle. This will keep the plug from fouling and cylinder properly lubricated, without excessive deposits on either. Get yourself a good quality, name-brand, two-cycle oil designed for a specific mix and mix it as per package instructions... be leery of "super" lubes with a "one fits all" label (such as Opti) in these old engines without high-speed mixture adjustment. Since I installed my new piston I've been running the same mix I use in my Stihl equipment (Stihl oil at 50:1); I get a little smoke at low RPM's that disappears near WOT... and the plug stays a nice golden-tan color.
Whitespider is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson